Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Can't Find Enough Lights for my Log Cabin Quilts--Any Suggestions? >
  • Can't Find Enough Lights for my Log Cabin Quilts--Any Suggestions?

• Can't Find Enough Lights for my Log Cabin Quilts--Any Suggestions?

Old 10-09-2013, 07:05 AM

katier--thanks for all the great links. It gave me ideas and I was able to search some more and found a lot of the dots and some other low volume prints at fabric.com (no shipping!!!). You have mad google search skills to find so many links for me so quickly.

Jan--I do agree that I will want some light colored background fabrics for the Me and My Sister's quilt but want to stick to mostly white and offwhite for the fabrics from Coquette as these fabrics are already a medium to medium pale shade.
    Old 10-10-2013, 04:00 AM

Check the reverse side of your fabrics, some look very good on the back, they're just lighter. I've used fabric like this and the quilt came out great.
    Old 10-10-2013, 06:31 AM

Don't feel that you need a lot of lights. If the dark side ( hehe) is scrappy, you can use just 2-4 very similar lights ( or even just one) to do the light side.

I have the same problem of very few lights.
    Old 10-10-2013, 08:40 AM

Most times the "wrong" side is lighter than the printed side, unless it has words, you can flip the fabric to the wrong side, this might not help you as you need more fabric, but it might help someone else.
    Old 10-10-2013, 10:40 AM

These should be easy to accumulate. Anything with a white background or at least 50% white in the print will work. She has used pastels, ginghams, 1930s prints as well as other prints. http://www.beavercreekquiltcompany.com/ <----- This quilt shop is going out of business and has everything in her shop marked down. Also check these online shops for good prices on clearance or special sales. Whittle's is always lower priced items. As Bonnie Hunter says, it really doesn't matter that much what the fabric looks like because it's going to be cut so small and will be absorbed into the big overall picture. If it's still ugly, you just haven't cut it small enough according to Bonnie! lol http://www.quiltfabriccloseouts.com/, http://www.whittlesfabrics.com/, http://www.stitch-n-frame.net/cgi-bi...menu-3000.html
    Old 10-10-2013, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria
    So, I saw this quilt --http://www.redpepperquilts.com/2013/...-Tutorial.html

a while back and it really inspired me to do a few scrappy (but somewhat controlled scrappy with respect to colors and tones of fabrics) log cabins. However, I've noticed that my stash has very, very few print on whites/off whites so I need to get lots of different light prints to be able to make these. I have 2 quilts in mind that I want to do--one with bright colors from Me and My Sisters lines (Dilly Dally, Giggles, Amelia, and Twirl) and another with soft medium pastel tones from the Coquette line (I have one yard cuts of 18 of the tone on tone prints from this line--pink, yellow, lavendar, blue and green).

If you know of any fabric lines that have some white/off whites with subtle prints I would love to know the names so I can try to hunt them down. While I feel like I want to make these right now, I feel like it may take a while to accumulate enough good lights. I only have two LQS in my area so I don't have a lot of choices to see things in person so I do most of my shopping online. Thanks.
    Are you looking at batiks, too? I'd never have thought light colors would be difficult to find.
    Old 10-10-2013, 11:01 AM

When you read through the blog, she tells you she has used many Kaffe Fassett prints which is where all that gorgeous color comes from! I love the red and white polka dot centers on each block.
    Old 10-10-2013, 12:18 PM

Thanks for the tip Jan, I am such a dummy when it comes to the computer.
    Old 10-10-2013, 02:42 PM

I would try 1000's o Bolts. They have lots to choose from
    Old 10-10-2013, 04:51 PM
    pw6

reverse the light colors