Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Can't remember what it is called....please help >
  • Can't remember what it is called....please help

• Can't remember what it is called....please help

Old 10-10-2011, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees
    For the life of me I can not remember what this is called, and can't find it on the internet.......I think it is a silicone sheet, that is placed over the throat of the sewiing machiine, that allows the fabric to slide more easy when doing quilting, free motion quilting etc.....i thought some one even said once that the silicone sheets they sell for baking could be used.....I thought it was called a "Slip sheet"....but can not find it any where.... I am having a total no recall moment....(had grandkids all week end).........Thank you in advance, I know someone here will have the answer....
    I've heard where people buy inexpensive thick see thru plastic by the yard at Joanns or even Home Depot and use it instead. You just have to cut a hole where your foot plate or whatever it is called. Seem so many quilt related items are so expensive when you can find a substitute that works just as well for so much less.

example ... my hubby bought this for me at Harbor Freight, it was on sale I think for $6. Most quilt shops sell something similar for using as a handle on big rulers and charge $15-20
    http://www.harborfreight.com/bath-sa...dle-96086.html
    Old 10-10-2011, 09:34 AM

forgot to add that I put a bit of the rubbery shelf liner under the silicone baking mat, it doesn't slide at all...the thicker liner, not the thin...
    Kif
    Old 10-10-2011, 09:39 AM

I bought a yard of JoAnn's heaviest vinyl and cut a hole for my needle area. It drapes over the machine and cabinet. It stays in place with nothing to hold it. I was surprised I didn't need tape.
    Old 10-10-2011, 09:41 AM

I use the clear vinyl I purchased at Hobby Lobby. It clings to the sewing machine and the sewing table. I cut the hole to fit the plate. It is wonderful and I don't worry about wear and tear on the sewing table. No pin scratches on my machine. Quilts slide wonderfully. I spent $2.49. Using it 4 years and can't tell it is over one day of use.
    Old 10-10-2011, 12:14 PM
    Google Goddess

wow, thanks for the link, I will need to go and buy me one of those things for my ruler

Originally Posted by wraez
    Originally Posted by Deborahlees
    For the life of me I can not remember what this is called, and can't find it on the internet.......I think it is a silicone sheet, that is placed over the throat of the sewiing machiine, that allows the fabric to slide more easy when doing quilting, free motion quilting etc.....i thought some one even said once that the silicone sheets they sell for baking could be used.....I thought it was called a "Slip sheet"....but can not find it any where.... I am having a total no recall moment....(had grandkids all week end).........Thank you in advance, I know someone here will have the answer....
    I've heard where people buy inexpensive thick see thru plastic by the yard at Joanns or even Home Depot and use it instead. You just have to cut a hole where your foot plate or whatever it is called. Seem so many quilt related items are so expensive when you can find a substitute that works just as well for so much less.

example ... my hubby bought this for me at Harbor Freight, it was on sale I think for $6. Most quilt shops sell something similar for using as a handle on big rulers and charge $15-20
    http://www.harborfreight.com/bath-sa...dle-96086.html
    Old 10-10-2011, 12:27 PM

The clear vinyl at JoAnn's works great. Just remember to cut a hole for your needle to go through. Don't buy the very lightest vinyl. I bought a medium weight.
    Old 10-10-2011, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
    I bought a yard of JoAnn's heaviest vinyl and cut a hole for my needle area. It drapes over the machine and cabinet. It stays in place with nothing to hold it. I was surprised I didn't need tape.
    Vinyl, that is what I was thinking of, not plastic! Yes, so much less expensive than the those 'glider' things.
    Old 10-10-2011, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by wraez
    Originally Posted by irishrose
    Vinyl, that is what I was thinking of, not plastic! Yes, so much less expensive than the those 'glider' things.
    Will put on my list for next trip to Joann/Hobby Lobby.....am going to try plastic first, before spending on the 'fancy sheet'.
    Old 10-10-2011, 01:10 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by GGinMcKinney
    I use the clear vinyl I purchased at Hobby Lobby. It clings to the sewing machine and the sewing table. I cut the hole to fit the plate. It is wonderful and I don't worry about wear and tear on the sewing table. No pin scratches on my machine. Quilts slide wonderfully. I spent $2.49. Using it 4 years and can't tell it is over one day of use.
    can you post a pix of how you use this??
    Old 10-11-2011, 03:17 AM

there is a silicone sheet for the bottom of your oven whcih is larger