Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Can't seem to get things right today!!! >
  • Can't seem to get things right today!!!

• Can't seem to get things right today!!!

Old 04-17-2015, 04:37 AM

Haha....I, too, was having that kind of a day on Tuesday! I am using my Angler 2 to make a bazillion 1 1/2" triangles....the first block I put together with them to test the pattern was a total mess! I went back to make sure everything was cut precisely, etc. After more trial and error, I have determined the slickness of the Angler was causing my little pieces to shift just enough to throw everything off. I tried pinning yesterday ( after taking a much needed chocolate break) and voila! Life is back on track! Glad you had a better day as well!
    Old 04-17-2015, 05:55 AM

Default Stitches off -SVAL

I bet you are wandering at the end of each stitching....check the seam allowance on a couple of the blocks...that's why you are getting curves. It's easy to do, especially on such small pieces. Don't trim any more...recut the ones you trimmed...hang the error on the wall (shoot frame it)...will give you a good chuckle one day.

It will help to press your squares to freezer paper (or a fusible, lightweight, nonwoven interfacing)...freezer paper is cheaper. Just the bottom pieces... when you lay the top piece on top of the ones that are held in place by the freezer paper or fusible...(you can even mark 1/4" on the little space between the fused squares...so you know where the stitching should start/stop). I did this on a doll quilt & it really helped me figure out where I was getting off. You can also starch the heck out of the pieces before you cut them out.

Don't give up...we have all had our off days with sewing/quilting.

Originally Posted by sval
    I needed to trim a gazillion 1.5 inch squares. So I invested in a BlocLoc Ruler. Which is fabulous,by the way.
    All my HST's are perfect.
    I start to sew them together. First seam. Off. How can that be? Both HST's were perfect. How could one seam throw them off?
    So I trim again. And sew the 3rd block on. Now I have a curvish piece. So now the misbehaving HST's are all in a bag in the drawer.
    Drove me to tears.
    Not sure I'm a quilter after all.
    SVAL
    Old 04-17-2015, 06:09 AM

Am working on a charity quilt with pinwheels using hst. Have done many of these is the past but can't seem to get my mind around the technique this time. Time to go and try again.
    Old 04-17-2015, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    Some days the universe/fabric/design/gremlins/your first cousins just want you to do something else.
    Thumb your nose at them, head off in another pleasureable direction: go buy fabric, eat lunch out, visit your best friend, go to a movie, change the decor in your bedroom, sit outside in the sun and read a great book, cut coupons....anything that will distract you happily and tell the first part that it isn't in charge of your day! Tomorrow is a new one.

Jan in VA
    Jan, I absolutely love your reply. I think I'll frame it and put it on my wall!

In our quest to appease our creative natures, sometimes everything just needs a time out.
    Old 04-17-2015, 10:34 AM

I agree with "Jan in VA's" reply. Just a change in scenery can often be the answer to my lack of direction or creativity. Remember, there are no quilting police waiting at your door and only you have to like what you're creating!
    Old 04-17-2015, 02:41 PM

When I am having an off-day, I do not sew, I screw everything I touch up!
    Old 04-17-2015, 05:10 PM

Maybe you are obsessing to much. I cut my pieces then sew together, then check the block measurement. Tip an adhesive piece of loop velcro makes a great seam guide on your machine measure and check with a good ruler. Don't be so hard on your self remember Rome wasn't built in a day and neither are our quilts.
    Old 04-18-2015, 04:58 AM

I find that chainpiecing helps solve that "drifting" If not another quilt piece availbe use a scrap as an ender or leader.
    Old 04-19-2015, 07:04 AM

Great outlook Jan!!!!!!
    Old 04-19-2015, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by JenniePenny
    I discovered once, when the same thing was happening to me, that my fabric was 'drifting' to the left as I sewed a seam. The seam started out as being 1/4 inch, but then at the end of every piece, it was much narrower. This caused the curvy thing. I have learned to use my left finger as a guide to try to keep the fabric straight, especially when sewing HST's. Some people use stilettos for this.
    I do this, too. As I near the end of a line of sewing, I press my left index finger against the side of the presser foot which seems to keep the fabric from drifting.

Leslie