Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Can't tie cotton batting quilts? >
  • Can't tie cotton batting quilts?

• Can't tie cotton batting quilts?

Old 09-28-2010, 03:15 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    I have been told that it is very difficult to get your needle through W & N.
    It is good enough to hand quilt, I think a tie should be easy-breezy.
    Old 09-28-2010, 05:56 PM

The batting I have says it can go up to 10" so I should be fine... I'm a bit concerned about the other stuff I used in a couple of quilts b/c I did SITD so some spacing is pretty far. I guess time will tell!
    Old 09-28-2010, 06:16 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by moonangel12
    The batting I have says it can go up to 10" so I should be fine... I'm a bit concerned about the other stuff I used in a couple of quilts b/c I did SITD so some spacing is pretty far. I guess time will tell!
    What company batting is it that you could go up to 10". I have to make a few quicky quilts that I was going to tie.
    Old 09-29-2010, 03:57 AM

I use Quilters Dream cotton and have never had a problem tying even on the hightest loft. It is an excellent batt and I have never had it shift, bunch or wadd up in any place. Believe me they were/are well loved and used by grandchildren who can really give anything a workout. Washed and dryed in the machine with absolutely no problems.
    Old 09-29-2010, 04:08 AM

oh nooo. ... I think I made a major mistake with the one I just tied. Did not even think about the batting holding up with it being tied. I certainly did not tie it 3" apart. more like 10. wanted to get it done it was/ is a cal king that just seemed to be getting bigger and bigger. We shall see I guess. Thanks for the topic will be looking at what people comment. T
    Old 09-29-2010, 04:17 AM
    Power Poster

generally when tying quilts the rule of thumb is to have a tie every (fist) width apart. anywhere on the quilt top you place your fist should touch a tie...above, below and on each side (4" is standard, with a fist being a good measuring tool) 10" apart is definitly too far apart to not bunch and cause bunching later.
    and again, the batting matters. even if your batting says you can quilt 10" apart; ties need to be closer because they are not consistantly holding the batting all around that 10" space. 4" spacing for tying!
    Old 09-29-2010, 04:36 AM

Maybe I am lucky, but I just learned how to tie quilts through cotton batting, and it was easy. We put some beeswax on the embroidery floss, used a hooked needle when we threaded the floss, and it just slipped through the layers like silk. The needles were really sharp, and maybe the wax made it easier?
    Old 09-29-2010, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by trupeach1
    Originally Posted by moonangel12
    What company batting is it that you could go up to 10". I have to make a few quicky quilts that I was going to tie.
    It's some warm and natural I just bought last week - it says on the package that you can leave up to 10" open :) I know for tying I can't do that far, but for quilting, especially SITD with some patterns, that's really nice!
    Old 09-29-2010, 05:11 AM

I get high loft batting at JoAnn's for when I want to tie a quilt. I wait until I have a coupon so it isn't so expensive.