Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Carpenter's Star Quilt >
  • Carpenter's Star Quilt

• Carpenter's Star Quilt

Old 05-06-2014, 05:03 AM

Go ahead and finish it. When the quilt is finished you probably won't notice the fabric in different directions. That happens in a lot of quilts.
    Old 05-06-2014, 05:15 AM

I am confused! are you saying that you do not want to give this quilt to DF and are thinking of making another one? As we all are- you are too hard on your self pointing out all the mistakes. As I look at the pic of your quilt I do not see any mistakes. Perhaps the colors are s little "mushy" but they do look nice together and you can still see the other blocks. I am sure that you dad will LOVE this quilt since you made it. DO NOT point out the mistakes and he will not notice any of them. However- If it bothering you that much then maybe you should make another one!!!!
    Old 05-06-2014, 05:19 AM

I like your quilt. Your dad will love it because you did it. Add enough borders to make it big enough, quilt it, wash it and give it with love. You learned a lot with this quilt. Probably the most important - Points aren't as easy as they look. For me, if I want good points, I have to be very accurate with my cutting and my sewing that darned quarter inch. I have learned to cut them oversize, or sew a very scant quarter inch and then trim it down to my block size. The second thing you will learn when you gift the quilt is that the Quilt Police are only in your mind, not your father's. It's not perfect, but then most quits aren't. I really like it!
    Old 05-06-2014, 05:20 AM

I have made several carpenter's star quilts using 6 1/2 inch unfinished squares (one of QB posts with diagram for using any size squares) with the hsts made 4 at one time using 9 1/2 inch squares (QB tutorial or post) -- points match well using this method and it goes fast and easy -- unbordered, unfinished top covers a queen bed top more or less -- QB is a great site for all sort of info
    Old 05-06-2014, 05:23 AM

My thoughts on your quilt: It is a pretty quilt! It is your father's favorite color, and unless he is a quilter, he is unlikely to notice where points don't match. As far as some of the fabric being upside down and crossways...there is nothing that says "This end up", so that is not an issue. I'm sure your father will be thrilled that you took the time and expended the effort to make him a quilt.

Remember that the first rule of quilting is: “If you can’t see a mistake in a quilt from a galloping horse, it really doesn’t matter.” Some say that, if you see a mistake from a galloping horse, he isn’t going fast enough!
    Old 05-06-2014, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by bigsister63
    I am confused! are you saying that you do not want to give this quilt to DF and are thinking of making another one? As we all are- you are too hard on your self pointing out all the mistakes. As I look at the pic of your quilt I do not see any mistakes. Perhaps the colors are s little "mushy" but they do look nice together and you can still see the other blocks. I am sure that you dad will LOVE this quilt since you made it. DO NOT point out the mistakes and he will not notice any of them. However- If it bothering you that much then maybe you should make another one!!!!
    I really does bother me I have fabric to make another. I am thinking about switching the solid blue and the nautical fabric around.
    Old 05-06-2014, 05:40 AM

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. This really helps when you have someone to talk too.
    Old 05-06-2014, 05:59 AM
    Power Poster

When I read your first statement I thought you had a real disaster on your hands, then I saw the quilt and realized that you're just going through a typical quilter syndrome, known as unachievable perfectionism. Your quilt top is beautiful! Your father will love it, the tiny mismatch of points won't be at all visible to him, and the fabric you chose will mean so much to him. I see no problem at all in the sailboats going different ways in this pattern. Finish it up and be proud of it.
    Old 05-06-2014, 06:05 AM
    Power Poster

Pictorial fabric really don't work with a busy pattern. We have ALL had quilts that did not come out like we had planned. The center of the block, the top row of blocks look fine. You have your points there. Not sure what you can do with the bottom row. Looks like the points are gone. I would still try to see if you could fix the bottom half and get it quilted. He is going to love it anyway because you made it.
    Old 05-06-2014, 06:18 AM

KEEP GOING! LOOKS GREAT; your issues are minor!