Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • cat fur sticking to batik >
  • cat fur sticking to batik

• cat fur sticking to batik

Old 10-30-2016, 08:08 PM

keeping the bedroom door shut will help-until the cat sneaks in. I have a cat that gets on the bed but only at night when we are there. I throw a sheet on the bed every night.
    Old 10-30-2016, 08:31 PM

No cats in my house but two long hair dogs that shed a ton! I have learned that putting a dryer sheet in with a load will really help to cut the amount of cat hair. I have been known to use the dryer on air - no heat - with a couple dryer sheets to try and control the hair......
    Old 10-30-2016, 09:16 PM
    Power Poster

If they love the cat, they know all about the hair and they either don't care or they know how to get the hair off.
    Old 10-30-2016, 09:40 PM

I have a long haired black cat, (and formerly had a Malamute hair dispenser) and I either use a sticky roller or one of those stiff brushes that is sold in the laundry department of most grocery stores that is shaped like an iron. That is the only brush that de-furred my quilts, cars, chairs, me, etc.
    Old 10-31-2016, 03:12 AM

Long haired white cat here. I have 2 of those "brushes" that swipe hair off when moving the ""brush" in one direction. Reverse lets go of it. I like them better than the lint rollers. Only way to not have pet hair is to not have a pet. Can you imagine life without 'em?
    Old 10-31-2016, 03:41 AM

We have an orange cat, he thinks all the quilts in the house are his. It's ok, he's family so we just use a small hand vacuum and clean them up. Lint rollers work for quick touch ups when we have company. Our friends know we have a cat, most of them have pets also so it's not an issue, we just pass out lint rollers.
    Old 10-31-2016, 04:05 AM

Good luck with whatever you do.

I will say that people who want to use a quilt (no matter how they use it; hang, couch, bed, in trunk for impromtu picnics/ice cream...) will use it. People who don't want to use it, wont.

Cats are cats and will do whatever they darn well please anyways. Any cat owner knows that!
    Old 10-31-2016, 04:13 AM

I agree with Gingerk..cat fur comes with purrs and cuddles. Lint rolls a couple of times a week will help. It won't matter if the fabric is dark or not, it's par for the course if you own a cat.
    Old 10-31-2016, 04:58 AM

I live with two Goldens and we have hair everywhere, even after brushing them and vacuuming. Pet owners are used to it. We love our animals and put up with it. That being said, we cover our bed with an old sheet when the dogs sleep with us. During the day, the door is shut. You either show off a quilt and live with the hair, or you cover it up and keep it pristine. Not much around it LOL
    Old 10-31-2016, 05:11 AM

Our cat is short-haired with gray fur, but boy, does she shed. She sleeps on my bed on her own special mat. All your dear ones have to do is put the mat where the cat normally sleeps. Or if it likes catnip, put just a little on the mat for the first time. The mat is her special place. She gets lots of verbal praise and pets when she is there. It's very furry right now, and needs to be thrown in the washer, but here's a [ATTACH=CONFIG]561338[/ATTACH] picture. It's flannel...cats seem to like that and I made it to blend with her color. On your son's quilt, I'd probably use a light color of black so it didn't distract from the quilt.
    Attached Thumbnails img_3962.jpg  

Last edited by coopah; 10-31-2016 at 05:12 AM. Reason: word spacing with picture: not perfect, but better