Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Cat in the store? >
  • Cat in the store?

• Cat in the store?

Old 02-27-2014, 12:22 PM

I love cats and have 2. But I would object to a LQS or any establishment selling clothes, fabric, food, etc., having a cat or dog on the premises. Several of my friends have allergies and I see how they suffer. Just think this is not an appropriate place to bring your pets.

Now a book store....
    Old 02-27-2014, 12:27 PM

Actually, which is worse - where a dog/cat sat ir a baby with a poopie diaper sat?
    Old 02-27-2014, 12:31 PM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

HERE, THERE IS NO SMOKING ALLOWED IN ANY STORE OR BAR OR RESTARAUNTS.
    sorry bout caps.
    Originally Posted by dakotamaid
    Cats in the store, I stay away, same with dogs and cigarette smoke.
    Old 02-27-2014, 12:34 PM
    Power Poster

I do not have an issue with cat allergies, but our DS does, to the extent that he rarely visits because we have a cat. That said, I don't really have an issue with a cat in a quilt shop, perhaps the shop is in an area where mice are present and the cat serves a very real purpose. However, cats can be trained to not go onto tables or any other surfaces where they are not wanted, although we had one cat who would jump onto the kitchen table whenever I had a floral arrangement with baby's breath; for some reason Princess loved baby's breath.
    Old 02-27-2014, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by misseva
    Actually, which is worse - where a dog/cat sat ir a baby with a poopie diaper sat?
    That's a faulty dilemma. But it does remind me of one time when I was shopping in a LQS and this woman stood next to me, reeking of McDonald's, touching one fabric after the other. All I could think of was whether or not she'd washed the french fries off her hands.

That, like the baby example, is unpleasant. Cat allergies, OTOH, are often severe.

Hugs,
    Charlotte
    Old 02-27-2014, 02:31 PM

If I had a quilt shop I'd be very tempted to bring a dog or cat in occasionally, but I probably wouldn't do it because I don't trust the PEOPLE who visit the shop not to be jerks and hurt it, either accidentally or on purpose.

There are many businesses here that have all kinds of "shop" animals (cats, birds, dogs, fish...), and it's a wonderful thing for the community. People can bring well-behaved animals into many of these and other stores as well. Since some of us work all day, it's a blessing to be able to bring our pets along on a pleasant evening -- though ONLY where they are welcome by the business owner. Because these shops all have pet policy signs on the doors it's easy to tell.

I'm sure there are probably people who don't shop in the places that have or allow pets, but nobody seems to miss them enough to change the community's spirit.
    Old 02-27-2014, 04:03 PM

There was a local shop that had a cat, he was rather timid and I never saw him on the fabric or tables. Nor did I notice hair on anything I bought there. Granted, I didn't buy a whole lot as she specialized in orientals, and I don't care for them at all.

It's interesting that so many people comment on the animal issue - but what about the heavy smell of residual cigarette smoke, or strong perfume - or my personal favorite, the two together? More than one store (not necessarily quilting) I've been in has people working there who absolutely reek; it gives me an instant headache and unless it's something I can't do without, I'm outta there!
    Old 02-27-2014, 04:08 PM
    Power Poster

I love cats and dogs... but not pet hair on my fabrics! The cutting table is the absolute worst place for a cat to lie, as it ensures that every length of fabric cut on it will be exposed to cat hair. Someone should tell the shop owner. Its up to her what she wants to do about it, but she still needs to be told it's a problem.
    Old 02-27-2014, 04:10 PM
    Power Poster

Neither is acceptable.
    Old 02-27-2014, 04:25 PM

Or parents that, when their small child has grabbed produce and stuffed it into their mouth, just takes the food and puts it back with the rest? I have seen this happen before, and that kid had a whole lot of snot and dirt on its face. YUCK. I always pre-wash...fabric AND produce!!

I would never bring a pet into a place that sold food, though. Only exception is outdoor cafe's; there are a few around here that put out dog water bowls and encourage customers to bring their dogs into their outdoor eating areas. I think that's perfectly acceptable.