Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Cat in the store? >
  • Cat in the store?

• Cat in the store?

Old 02-27-2014, 08:52 AM

I don't have animal allergies, but I am severely allergic to lavender. I have walked into fabric stores and had to leave because of the "nice relaxing" air fresheners. Unfortunately so many products are now 'fresh lavender' scented, I have to be careful, and sniff as I walk in. I can no longer walk in most cleaning product isles, or even the ones near it. DH now does most of the shopping since it has gotten so much worse in recent years.
    Old 02-27-2014, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO
    Just think it was a flea in a bale of wool that spread the plaque. Of course that wouldn't happen today but I think as the fabric is being solid as new to see a cat sleeping on it would make it second hand.
    Why could it not happen again? The only difference, we have drugs now to combat disease, the disease didn't disappear.
    Old 02-27-2014, 08:59 AM

Most stores that have animals on site have a sign on the door saying so, and that helps. I would go in the store just to pet the cats. And then wash the fabric the minute I get home.
    Old 02-27-2014, 08:59 AM

In my opinion animals of any kind do not belong in a store any other than the pet stores! I will not shop in a store that has any animals in it dog or cat!
    Old 02-27-2014, 10:29 AM

I'm allergic to cats, but I have been in antique or book stores with cats. As long as I don't pet them I'm all right. But I don't like the idea of dog or pet hair on my fabric. Also not a fan of dirty kids touching everything either. I guess I'm a fussy old lady....

The granddogs don't live in WI and they don't visit so my fabric is safe here!
    Old 02-27-2014, 10:51 AM

We have a cat in our store - we sell farm and lawn equipment. She's our mouse protection. If it wasn't for her I would be terrified all day long. No mice in office area because of her. Now the shop area, with all the open doors is another problem. I was surprised at how many of our farmers stop to pet and talk to "Mama" when they come in.
    Old 02-27-2014, 11:37 AM

I haven't read all replies here, but my suggestion is to go shopping there with an un-allergic friend, purchase what you like and have her/him launder it for you. For me, having a cat in a store is much preferred to having germs spread by wandering mice who could also damage the goods as well.
    Old 02-27-2014, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by misseva
    We have a cat in our store - we sell farm and lawn equipment. She's our mouse protection. If it wasn't for her I would be terrified all day long. No mice in office area because of her. Now the shop area, with all the open doors is another problem. I was surprised at how many of our farmers stop to pet and talk to "Mama" when they come in.
    I actually have no problem with this - I have always seen cats in feed stores and places that sell farm stuff. But they are also usually open air-ish and it doesn't cause problems with my allergies. Well, that and I don't exactly frequent such places. LOL
    Old 02-27-2014, 11:49 AM
    Power Poster

there is a feed store in my town and they always have a cat. doors open too though. When our local quilt store started out, they had a cat outside. People would let it in and they would put it back out. tiny dog doesn't bother me being around fabric, but could bother anyone with pet allergies.
    Old 02-27-2014, 12:13 PM

I love animals myself, but I've had a running battle (figuratively speaking) with a local big box food store. The ONLY animals allowed in food stores or restaurants are service animals. AND, IMHO, an animal that has to be carried or placed in the grocery cart is not an assistance animal and does not belong in a food store or restaurant. As for smoking, about ten years ago our state (Florida) had a constitutional amendment approved by the voters that prohibits smoking in any public place, including the campus of the local community college. I am grateful that smoking is not allowed. I have adult onset asthma and the smoke causes severe breathing problems.

Believe me, I am not anti-animal. We had three dogs (just lost the last one about a year and a half ago) and I loved every one of them. However, unless you have safety restraints in a vehicle, in a collision a dog or cat becomes a projectile which can cause injury to them or whoever they're with in the car.

And, I don't want to use a food cart that has been occupied by any animal. JMHO!

Jeanette