Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Catastrophe in the Sewing Room >
  • Catastrophe in the Sewing Room

• Catastrophe in the Sewing Room

Old 01-08-2011, 08:07 PM
    kbs

refolding, petting, getting to remember pieces you had not thought about-it will be great.
    Old 01-09-2011, 04:45 AM

Good luck, I am working on some overflow bins and filling bags with give away fabric too old and or don't like anymore and donating it. Sooo cleansing!
    Old 01-21-2011, 03:45 PM

Well, on the positive side, now you know the maximum capacity of those drawers, and you won't fill them so full in the future!
    Old 01-21-2011, 04:16 PM

I've been meaning to get back to this thread to let you know I finally got it all back together. The stack of bins was bought at a thrift shop, and was already assembled. During the clean-up, I discovered it hadn't been assembled properly. I corrected that, so hopefully I won't have this problem again!

My DGD is 12, and has been bitten by the sewing bug. When she was 9, I began teaching her on my trips to visit (10 hr. drive away!) on a machine I'd given my DIL who wanted to learn to sew but hasn't. For Christmas this year, she wanted a lightweight portable machine of her own, so that's what we gave her for Christmas. Since, I've been adding needed notions, patterns, etc. She's into making purses--so, as I went through the stash in those big bins, I sorted out fabric suitable for purses (heavy--not good for quilting) and have a box ready to ship to her.

As many of you suggested, I was able to make lemonaide out of this pile of lemons.

And this story: My DGS was only 4 when I began teaching my DGD to sew. He wanted to learn to sew, too. I was afraid he'd sew through a finger--and I was babysitting while their parents were away for a few days--didn't want my babysitting to include a trip to the ER. I pointed to the gold manufacturer's plate on the machine and told him, "See this? It says this machine is not safe for anyone under 9 yrs. old." I asked him if he was 9 yet? He admitted he was just 4. I doubt he's forgotten my telling him that--and though he's only 7 now, he reads on a 7th grade level. One day he's going to read that plate and know I fibbed to him. I'm thinking I'll cover that plate with masking tape the next time I'm there helping DGD sew--and maybe start him with some straight seam sewing, if he's still interested.
    Old 01-21-2011, 06:18 PM

Great story!!!