Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Cathedral Window made with circle ruler >
  • Cathedral Window made with circle ruler

• Cathedral Window made with circle ruler

Old 08-20-2014, 05:36 AM

Default Cathedral Window made with circle ruler

Has anyone made this quilt? I saw it on Missouri Star Quilt tutorial. Jenny doesn't show anything about using batting with the design. W/O it, it doesn't seem like a quilt -- just 2 pieces of material put together. Am I missing something or is this all there is?
    Old 08-20-2014, 05:41 AM

I haven't seen the MSQC tute for this one, but I have seen others - this is a quilt I keep wanting to make so I've watched a few! I think all of the ones I've seen use a batting square along with the print square, unless the circle is denim or doubled-up flannel that is then snipped for a ragged edge.

Your quilt, your rules! But personally...I'm with you, I'd want that little square of batting in there. And not JUST to use up scraps, lol.
    Old 08-20-2014, 06:17 AM

I played around with the concept of the one made by M*QC. I don't have the circle ruler but I cut mine out using my Olfa Circle Cutter. I drew a circle on my squares of fabric and layered a piece of batting (W&N) the same size as my square and sewed them all together. Cut them out and turned them right side out. There was so much bulk to sew with the batting in it. When you turn the curves down and go to sew them, you will be sewing 4 layers of fabric and 2 layers of batting. I couldn't get it to lay nice and match up like I wanted it to. I am going to do my Cathedral Window quilt the "old fashion" way where you make the circle and then place a square of the focal fabric in the center and then sew the curves down to secure it.

i did make a table topper for July 4th doing it the way Jenny does and it turned out alright.
    Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
    Old 08-20-2014, 06:18 AM
    Power Poster

The traditional cathedral windows quilt winds up being quite heavy without batting. Jenny's version gives a bit of the look of a very large cathedral windows block but isn't put together in the same way. If you put batting between the circles before sewing around them, you would have to trim it pretty harshly to turn the circles, and then you would have multiple layers of fabric and batting where the circles are turned back. I don't think it would work very well. If you really want to make this quilt with batting, another option would be to complete the quilt as Jenny shows it, then sandwich it with a quilt back and batting and quilt it. You would then have to bind or face it, so that would be another step.
    Old 08-20-2014, 06:19 AM

Here's a link to a tutorial using the same method, I think...
    http://www.modabakeshop.com/2011/11/...ymat.html#more
    Old 08-20-2014, 06:21 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
    <snip> I am going to do my Cathedral Window quilt the "old fashion" way where you make the circle and then place a square of the focal fabric in the center and then sew the curves down to secure it.
    LOL, the traditional way doesn't use circles. But lots of newer methods do. Your table topper is gorgeous!
    Old 08-20-2014, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
    LOL, the traditional way doesn't use circles. But lots of newer methods do. Your table topper is gorgeous!
    Thanks! I guess I should call it the "Modified Old Fashioned" way as I have no desire to fold all those edges back and hand sew them!!!
    Old 08-20-2014, 06:28 AM
    Power Poster

I made one back in the 70s and it was difficult especially with all that hand stitching. I think Jenny just tries to take the difficulty out of older patterns and gives them a facelift. If making a table topper, you might want to eliminate the thickness with something thinner than traditional cotton batting.
    Old 08-20-2014, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
    I played around with the concept of the one made by M*QC. I don't have the circle ruler but I cut mine out using my Olfa Circle Cutter. I drew a circle on my squares of fabric and layered a piece of batting (W&N) the same size as my square and sewed them all together. Cut them out and turned them right side out. There was so much bulk to sew with the batting in it. When you turn the curves down and go to sew them, you will be sewing 4 layers of fabric and 2 layers of batting. I couldn't get it to lay nice and match up like I wanted it to. I am going to do my Cathedral Window quilt the "old fashion" way where you make the circle and then place a square of the focal fabric in the center and then sew the curves down to secure it.

i did make a table topper for July 4th doing it the way Jenny does and it turned out alright.
    I like your alternating squares. The one I'd seen before was all denim backing with various squares.
    Old 08-20-2014, 06:32 AM

This is what I made out of denim circles -- there is batting in the center of each circle, then a piece of fabric. Pretty simple! My template was the top of a coffee can and I used a 28mm rotary cutter to cut the circles.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]488406[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails 100_1107.jpg