Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Cats in the sewing room??? >
  • Cats in the sewing room???

• Cats in the sewing room???

Old 04-16-2010, 04:27 PM

my sewing room is off limits for my cats for safety reasons. and being cats they are most curious about it, they wait by the door in hopes of sneaking in.sometimes they win and get a little up close look. but I soon put them out again.
    Old 04-16-2010, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Sandra Craig
    my sewing room is off limits for my cats for safety reasons. and being cats they are most curious about it, they wait by the door in hopes of sneaking in.sometimes they win and get a little up close look. but I soon put them out again.
    Sorry to say you are not in the majority here! And my whole house is my sewing room!
    Old 04-16-2010, 07:41 PM

I have 5 house cats, and lately I only let one cat in at a time, and only if he/she will lie down and go to sleep. One cat is a 7 month old kitten, and he is a holy terror in there. He only gets in if he sneaks in! I try to keep my hand sewing things (thread, needles, etc.) in a zipper bag in the living room, or things go missing, especially my thimble. I've never had one take thread off the machine, but maybe I'd better watch my dining room table where I have my Pfaff Grand Quilter set up for a large quilt project. You gotta love em, but they sure are curious!

Sue
    Old 04-16-2010, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by suesews
    I have 5 house cats, and lately I only let one cat in at a time, and only if he/she will lie down and go to sleep. One cat is a 7 month old kitten, and he is a holy terror in there. He only gets in if he sneaks in! I try to keep my hand sewing things (thread, needles, etc.) in a zipper bag in the living room, or things go missing, especially my thimble. I've never had one take thread off the machine, but maybe I'd better watch my dining room table where I have my Pfaff Grand Quilter set up for a large quilt project. You gotta love em, but they sure are curious!

Sue
    You need to quilt this..... Applique not quite finished, but cute!

Colorful Kitties
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]62923[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-62918.gif  
    Old 04-17-2010, 06:53 AM

[quote=Kitsie]
    Sorry to say you are not in the majority here! And my whole house is my sewing room![/quote

I may not be in the majority but since my cats like to eat thread I prefer to keep them safe and keep my sewing in a seperate room with a door to close
    Old 04-17-2010, 07:25 AM

No outfit is complete without a covering of fur..be it dog or cat hair. :D Also...why is it that we have FURniture? Isn't it supposed to be covered with FUR? LOL...all 3 of my dogs come and go in my sew cave along with the cat :D
    Old 04-17-2010, 09:08 AM

I posted earlier in this thread about Annie, our gray little kitty. Hubby changed the spark plugs in my car the other day and Annie got right in where the engine is and wires and she doubled checked what hubby was doing. Does anyone else's kitties help with car maintenance? When I clean out the car of empty water bottles, etc. Annie is in there too looking over everything and leaving little kitty paw prints here and there. Then I have to wipe things down of prints.
    Old 04-17-2010, 09:22 AM

[quote=Sandra Craig]
    Originally Posted by Kitsie
    Sorry to say you are not in the majority here! And my whole house is my sewing room![/quote

I may not be in the majority but since my cats like to eat thread I prefer to keep them safe and keep my sewing in a seperate room with a door to close
    I quite understand! Not meaning to criticize. I just noticed when I joined how many members had cats in their avatar pictures!
    Old 04-17-2010, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by stitchhappy
    I have two cats who I do not allow in the sewing room because they "nap" on my WIP. In reading the board, I see alot of that. Maybe I'll rethink this. They look soooo happy and the only downfall is hair on the fabrics. They sleep on the finished quilts, so why not before they're finished???
    We had a precious kitty for 13 years and he loved my quilts and my computer. We walk into our computer room (hubby and I each have a computer) and find Tigger either sleeping on the keyboard or standing up studying something in the monitor that wasn't even turned on. Don't know if he was tryign to figure out what our fascination was with this computer or what. He loved sitting on my quilt while I was working on it too. When I was hand quilting (no hoop or frame) I didn't mind him sitting there but when I was piecing and his nose was right there by the needle it always concerned me he might try to catch that needle and get his paw hurt but he must be smarter that I as he never ever tried to do that. No matter where I laid my quilt, he would be on it. We had one of my quilts on the bed for 10 years and he always napped on it, so much so that the foot of the bed got dirty too fast so I made him his own kitty quilt and he loved it. I also had a little hassock that I used to put my feet on when quilting and he sat on it a lot, especially after I made a pretty quilted cover for it. I have no clue what there is about quilts, but they he sure loved to be with my quilts no matter where I put one. He never once hurt it so it sure wasn't a big deal. He was an indoor cat only so he wasn't a dirty kitty as such. I'd say let him be on it unless he is one who sheds a lot. Due to my allergies plus his fur balls, we did brush him a lot so he really didn't shed a lot. We never found his fur around the house anyway. Years ago they had this little hand held battery operated pet vac and the minute one of us would turn it on, he'd be run to hop in our lap purring all the way. He loved to be brushed with it. I couldn't use a regular brush due to my allergies but this one I could as it was a little vacuum that had a container to hold the fur we brushed off of him. Enjoy you kitty while you have one. We haven't had one for 17 years due to my severe allergies but I'd love to have another one day.
    Old 04-17-2010, 02:23 PM

I love the colors of your let sleeping cats lie wall hanging. I just finished the whole quilt of nine blocks. A lot of cats! I did make the center block with "Let sleeping dogs lie - so 4 dog heads and 32 cat heads, but it was fun. I did use the mice also. My sis had better like it. A picture is on my camera and when I get it off I will try to post it.