Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • caution - extreme shrinkage! >
  • caution - extreme shrinkage!

• caution - extreme shrinkage!

Old 05-09-2010, 07:46 PM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

Originally Posted by sharon b
    I would think even 8 inches of shrinking is too much :shock:
    My thought exactly!
    Old 05-09-2010, 07:57 PM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

Originally Posted by juneayerza
    LQS - This is a new name for me. Are they an online store too.
    Hi juneayersa. LQS is local quilt shop. :-)

BTW, I ordered a rotary mat from JoAnns thinking it was a rotating mat only to find out that if you want the mat to rotate, you have to order a "spinning mat." I sent it back, but they said it will take 2-3 weeks to reimburse me (debit card purchase), and they won't exchange it for the one I wanted in the first place. I will have to reorder if I buy it from them. I used a 40% coupon for the first one. I'm not paying $60 for what I call a "cutting mat," when I already have three of those. Is it just me, or is it ridiculous that the play on words causes confusion. I could be the only one to make that mistake, but I think the description should describe the item, not the tools to use with the item. I was so disappointed. I was finally going to be able to "SPIN" my mat and now I can't and don't live that close to a store where I can go in a buy one. Wah! Ok, I'm over it now. Thanks for listening. :-)
    Old 05-09-2010, 08:07 PM

Thanks Brenda for the info

June
    Old 05-09-2010, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by juneayerza
    Thanks Brenda for the info

June
    Quite welcome :-) Never be afraid to ask a question here. Everyone is so nice. I was pretty shy for a very long time and waited until someone else asked what I wanted to know. lol I would not hesitate now, though. :-)
    Old 05-10-2010, 03:00 AM

"LQS" means local quilt store...so much easier than typing the whole thing out...

Julie
    Old 05-10-2010, 06:46 AM

I was in Joann's just a couple of days ago and they had co-mingled their "quilt fabric" in with their calicos at $9/yd. But their description of "quilt fabrics" was not what we would call quilt fabrics at the LQS. Also the store is such a mess.

I use fannel for the backs cause they are cuddly. As I tell those who get a quilt, if they complain, they will never get another and if they put it "away to save it" they will never get another. Mine are made to be used and abused with smiles.
    Old 05-10-2010, 08:00 AM

I guess I will be right behind you with the quilt police..... I have made several quilts with sheet backing. never had one single problem. it is usually the fabric manufacturers that tell you NOT to use sheets, and of course they would..... They need to make their almighty dollar. The reason I used the sheets for my backing is because I could not afford to by the fabric, and now with cotten going sky high in price , who knows what we will come up with.... YES I use sheets, and proud of it.
    Originally Posted by Candace
    Originally Posted by Pam
    Originally Posted by ranger
    I've never used a sheet for a backing...at least not on a big quilt. What thread count do you use? Any special brand? Thanks for any help.
    I regularly use flat sheets for the backing on kids quilts because they get so much hard use. I just buy a sheet that I like the color or pattern for the back of the quilt.

If you are with the quilt police, please do not write to me, I do not care if you do not like this. I make quality things with quality workmanship and am proud of what I do.

I have heard many say that it is difficult to hand quilt through sheets, but I FMS so it is not an issue for me.
    I bought a couple of sheets at Ikea yesterday. Twin size, 150 thread count for $4.50 each. I got white and red. I've never used a sheet for a backing before and I'm a quality snob. But, these sheets looked and felt just as nice as LQS solid fabric quality. Since I machine FMQ I don't think it will be an issue either. So if the quilt police come and get you, I guess I'm next on their list!!
    Old 05-10-2010, 08:38 AM

The flat sheet is a very good idea. Where do you ladies buy them?
    Old 05-10-2010, 08:43 AM

I just got a couple at IKEA. Good quality and inexpensive. I think others have said Target has good quality ones too.
    Old 05-10-2010, 09:25 AM

I use plain (or tone on tone) white or off white cotton fabric for backing. You can get it pretty inexpensively, and if washed the same as the rest, it shrinks about the same. I have never had any piece of fabric shrink 8"...that is just astounding! Please take it back...they need to have the manufacturer informed about it so someone else doesn't get the same thing. It's not just you that is affected by this bad fabric, so if you speak up, you may save someone else from it. Also, our local Joann's was remodeled about 2 years ago, and their fabric quality has gone up since. Much better fabric, although the price has also gone up some...though not much...maybe $1 per yard.