Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Centering a pieced backing >
  • Centering a pieced backing

• Centering a pieced backing

Old 01-15-2017, 02:33 PM

Default Centering a pieced backing

I'm not good at sandwiching quilts at the best of times, so it was probably rash of me to decide on a pieced backing that needs to be centered 🙂 I'd be grateful for any tips on how to do it. I'll be laying the quilt out on the floor.
    Old 01-15-2017, 02:59 PM

I think I would mark with safety pins on the right side of the backing and on the pieced top where the center is, and maybe with a little snip, safety pin or stitch where the centers of each side of the top and backing are. That way when you lay it out, you can keep track of where the backing is in relation to the front.
    Old 01-15-2017, 03:14 PM

That's a good idea. I've just found an online tutorial along the same lines, marking the centres of top, bottom and sides of each layer so they can be lined up, though she used a chalk marker.
    Old 01-15-2017, 03:27 PM

I fold each piece of the "sandwich" in half the long way and mark the centers with a pin, then fold them in half the other direction and mark centers with a pin. As I smooth out each layer I center them on the pins. This is the process I use whether the backing is pieced or not. This way I know I won't end up with one side being too short or something. If I were to do sandwiching on the floor, I would stabilize each layer with painter's tape as I smoothed it out. I do have a table that works for me, but I still use the tape on the backing until I get it pinned. Good luck with your pieced backing, it should work for you!
    Old 01-15-2017, 03:45 PM

I either mark the centers with pins or use washable marker to draw lines on the front, back, batting, then I line those up as best as I can.
    Old 01-15-2017, 07:26 PM

You can make crossed center lines on your floor with toothpicks taped down with painter's tape! I read about doing this on a table, and it really helped me line up a pieced quilt back I made one time. I had cut 10" squares from shirtings and scraps from the front. It was a pain, but DH still flips our bed quilt to that side when he makes it up.
    Old 01-15-2017, 08:03 PM
    Power Poster

I mark large quilts like Suern3. For small quilts I will line up one side or end and pin from there.
    Old 01-16-2017, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by katier825
    I either mark the centers with pins or use washable marker to draw lines on the front, back, batting, then I line those up as best as I can.
    Washable markers are a good idea - more likely to stay put than chalk. Thanks.
    Old 01-16-2017, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by elizajo
    You can make crossed center lines on your floor with toothpicks taped down with painter's tape! I read about doing this on a table, and it really helped me line up a pieced quilt back I made one time. I had cut 10" squares from shirtings and scraps from the front. It was a pain, but DH still flips our bed quilt to that side when he makes it up.
    I was thinking last night that taping something that I could feel through the quilt to the centre point might be a good idea. I thought of a small bottle top.
    Old 01-16-2017, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by suern3
    I fold each piece of the "sandwich" in half the long way and mark the centers with a pin, then fold them in half the other direction and mark centers with a pin.
    Thanks for such a clear description. One silly question - when do you take the pins out? I tried this once and couldn't get at the pin in the batting to remove it ☹️Obviously should have done it sooner!