Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • CHAIR to sit in, when sewing/quilting >
  • CHAIR to sit in, when sewing/quilting

• CHAIR to sit in, when sewing/quilting

Old 07-31-2012, 12:42 PM

I have the same setup but have 2 chairs, one for each of my "good" machines and another less comfortable for my other machines. Don't know what (or where) I will put my treadle when I finish it but know that I will have one of the mesh back rests in the chair. As long as it is the right height, rolls, is comfortable...what else do I need? Maybe not a rolling chair for a treadle machine..hmm???
    Originally Posted by Tartan
    I have a rolling adjustable office chair. I have added one of the mesh back rests from the $ store. It keeps my back from sweating and helps keep my lower back more comfortable.
    Old 07-31-2012, 03:13 PM

I use a smaller sized rolling office chair with adjustable/ removable arms.
    Old 07-31-2012, 06:03 PM

I am so glad you asked this question! I do have back, neck and hip issues and have recently embarked on a chair search. I tried the foam cushion in my present chair. Did not work! As I have searched for chairs I found that there are differing "grades" of chairs from task to executive. Executive chairs are designed to be set in for longer periods of time. Although the task/secretarial chair probably actually gets more seat time do to the type of work done but that is a whole different issue. I did find out that the more adjustments the better so you can actually change the position of the seat and back according to what task you are doing-sewing vs computer work vs quilting vs embroidery. It is difficult to find an executive chair without arms. My machine is set up very ergonomically as I attended a workshop put on by a chiropractor quilter at a quilt show. Best workshop I ever attended! I am still on the hunt for the best ever chair and am so looking forward to more information from this thread! Thank you everyone!
    Old 07-31-2012, 06:15 PM

I use a secretarial chair as well, adjustable up and down. Seems to work well for me. My sisters sews while sitting in one of those ball chairs - looks like an exercise ball, but the ball sits in a frame with wheels. Forces you to sit straight and use your core muscles. I haven't tried it out, but my sister claims it's the best. My brother also uses this type of chair for fly tying and for playing his guitar and mandolin. He's had lower back surgery and claims this chair and saved him. Check it out: http://www.amazon.com/Gaiam-Balance-.../dp/B006JBWYDA
    Old 07-31-2012, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    I use a padded, wide-seat, armless, adjustable, rolling office secretary's chair that I've had for a decade. I love it.
    Jan in VA

Mine is green.
    mine is pink and i love it i can roll across the room , it is comfortable , and i can turn around to get something of my back table without having to get up out of the chair !!
    Old 08-01-2012, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by jillaine
    I just want to thank everyone-- including the original poster-- for this topic. I've been getting horrendous back-aches from sewing and this topic is a great reminder that I need to look at the whole set up. It's inspired me to really examine everything about my sewing area and follow McManus's suggestions. Thanks!
    Thanks jillaine for posting the link, I've not figured that part out yet. Like I said the set-up isn't exactly pretty but it works and since I used a see thru plastic for the overlay-part I can slip directions under the plastic and not have it float to the floor (even pics of the grand-daughter can go under!)
    kathyd
    Old 08-01-2012, 05:55 AM

About the plastic overlay-- don't you get static?
    Old 08-01-2012, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by maryellen2u
    I am so glad you asked this question! I do have back, neck and hip issues and have recently embarked on a chair search. I tried the foam cushion in my present chair. Did not work! As I have searched for chairs I found that there are differing "grades" of chairs from task to executive. Executive chairs are designed to be set in for longer periods of time. Although the task/secretarial chair probably actually gets more seat time do to the type of work done but that is a whole different issue. I did find out that the more adjustments the better so you can actually change the position of the seat and back according to what task you are doing-sewing vs computer work vs quilting vs embroidery. It is difficult to find an executive chair without arms. My machine is set up very ergonomically as I attended a workshop put on by a chiropractor quilter at a quilt show. Best workshop I ever attended! I am still on the hunt for the best ever chair and am so looking forward to more information from this thread! Thank you everyone!
    Me too - I have the same issues. The secretarial/task chairs do not work for me. (I work at a computer all day.) I had my company buy an executive style chair with lumbar support and that works fairly well but it is too big for at home. (The arms are removable).

If you find something, let me know!

I see many chairs online that claim to be ergonomic but who knows without being able to try them?
    Old 08-01-2012, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by carolynjo
    I, too use an adjustable secretarial chair from which I removed the arms. You must be able to look down on your work so consider the height of your sewing table/desk. Good luck finding your balance.
    You do need to be able to look down on your work, but if you need to not bend your upper back simply put those inexpensive rubber door stops under the front of your machine and it will tilt it back so you are looking at your sewing at the angle you need.
    Old 08-01-2012, 06:42 PM

Besides getting a supportive chair, a table set-up where your arms are at a 90degree angle, maybe tipping the machine with door stops etc (I do this on my lightweight machine, but doesn't work with the nicer machine with the table extension), you might also want to think about your lighting. I found that adding an Ott light over my sewing area really helped me see well enough so that I could relax and sit back in the chair more instead of hunching over the sewing. But even then, I sometimes just need to remind myself to sit up, shoulders back!

My "decadent" addition to my sewing space is one of those vibrating chair mats that my daughter gave me years ago for Christmas sit in the swivel rocker I have in the room--sometimes I take a break there!