Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Charity Quilts >
  • Charity Quilts

• Charity Quilts

Old 11-08-2010, 10:43 AM

Quilts of Valor & Breast Cancer. Few others here & there as well.
    Old 11-08-2010, 11:33 AM

I hope that one day I will be able to get ahead enough in making baby quilts that I can do some for charity. I have 2 for charity so far (Quilts for Kids), but right now I am just working on quilts for families in our church...
    Old 11-08-2010, 02:07 PM

I make flannel quilts which are distributed mostly by friends of mine who are nurses and social workers. In addition, I sew flannel receiving blankets for them as well. Some of my blankets have also been sent to a nearby women's prison for use in their nursery area. I also send blankets with my eye doctor on his annual trip to Central America where he and other doctors work with the local people who badly need this eye care. I do this on my own and have been doing it for several years.
    Old 11-08-2010, 02:12 PM

I have a question about the quilts for charity. Do you buy yopur own material or do stores and fabric companies donate fabric for the quilts. Would love to get involved with something like this, but don't have money for extra fabric these days! TIA
    Old 11-08-2010, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by craftyone27
    I have a question about the quilts for charity. Do you buy yopur own material or do stores and fabric companies donate fabric for the quilts. Would love to get involved with something like this, but don't have money for extra fabric these days! TIA
    With Quilts for Kids, you can do both. They will send you a kit with everything but the batting and request that you add one of your own fabrics along with it. Check their website www.quiltsforkids.org. I got a very nice thank you e-mail from them about a week after I sent mine in.
    Old 11-08-2010, 04:18 PM

I'm donating bed-sized quilts to my DH nursing home he is in. Talked to his doctor today, was advised to admit him to Hospice. This is very stressful to me finding this out, and making quilts and donating them to the residents is my therapy.
    Old 11-08-2010, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by craftyone27
    Also if you are near a Guild, Church or Linus program. Many will have days set aside that they sew on, for charity, can just bring yourself and machine, you'll be put to work, hemming, labels, little things that still need done, and help. Contact the group leader. :-D
    Old 11-08-2010, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by CruisingStef
    I'm donating bed-sized quilts to my DH nursing home he is in. Talked to his doctor today, was advised to admit him to Hospice. This is very stressful to me finding this out, and making quilts and donating them to the residents is my therapy.
    Sorry to hear this (((Huggs)))
    Old 11-08-2010, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by CruisingStef
    SO sorry to hear this.
    Old 11-08-2010, 04:49 PM

I have donated over 50 blankets to Project Linus. Saved them for a year until my neice's Girl Scout Gold Award project. Some were quilts and some were knitted and crocheted.

I have been working with my friend making pillowcases for ConKerr Cancer. Those are the ones in my avatar.