Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Charm Packs -- watch out! >
  • Charm Packs -- watch out!

• Charm Packs -- watch out!

Old 05-04-2014, 08:37 AM

I don't buy pre-cuts cause I wash all my fabric before using it.... I shudder at the mess that would come out of the dryer with jelly rolls......... I also use my June Taylor Shape cutter to cut my own... That is part of the THERAPY of quilting for me! lol !!
    Old 05-04-2014, 10:19 AM

I purchased a jellyroll at a good price, but there were only 18 strips. Lesson learned.
    Old 05-04-2014, 11:45 AM

I have just recently bought some jelly rolls & they clearly stated that they had 20 strips (which was the reason they were cheaper) OR 40 strips (which is why the price was much higher. I have purchased them from CT & Craftsy & it stated the number of strips.
    Old 05-04-2014, 01:17 PM

I have been buying charm packs from MQ daily special. Even though you pay $5 for shipping & the very low price for your charms, you are still getting a bargain! and I never have a problem because I always look to see the amount of charms in the packet. I have not been disappointed.
    Old 05-04-2014, 05:02 PM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

I guess it depends on the fabric maker etc.. I buy the material and make my own precuts then I am assured of what I have. Lesson learned for sure
    Old 05-04-2014, 05:27 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

The forty charms are usually duplicates. And the dupes are always what one gal referred to as ... meh!
    Old 05-05-2014, 04:08 AM

When buying on the net I ask questions before committing to buying. I bought a Jelly Roll several years back at a very reasonable price and it surprisingly had 50 strips. I can't for the life of me remember who I bought it from.
    Old 05-05-2014, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
    This may have been posted before, but I just ran into the problem. I, personally, will take responsibility, but I had NO idea! I bought 3 charm packs from Craftsy.com. Was excited, planning 3 quilts.....price was AWESOME! yeah, you get what you pay for. Apparently a charm pack does NOT have to contain 40 pieces......these contained 14!!!!!!!!! ONE quilt. Oh well.....however, I thought all charm packs contained the same amount of blocks. Is it the same with jelly rolls, etc????????
    I have a question here. What if some of the blocks in a charm pack are not square? Actually I ordered several from a respectable company and there are some squares that are not all there. It is difficult to explain, but it seems as if the cloth was not fully under the blade so that the pieces are only partially there. Should I return that set or just deal with it?
    Old 05-05-2014, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by GramMER
    I have a question here. What if some of the blocks in a charm pack are not square? Actually I ordered several from a respectable company and there are some squares that are not all there. It is difficult to explain, but it seems as if the cloth was not fully under the blade so that the pieces are only partially there. Should I return that set or just deal with it?
    If that happened to me, yes, I'd be returning it......you're not getting the "yardage" you paid for. At the very least, I'd be calling and complaining. Sometimes companies send a replacement without you having to send back the product.
    Old 05-05-2014, 06:01 AM

On one of the Missouri Star Quilt Co videos Jenny announced that they have contracted all companies to have the same number of pre cuts. So let's say that normally Moda sells a jelly roll with 32 strips, if purchased from MSQ it will contain 40. All of their jelly rolls from any and all companies contain 40. Charms seem to differ though.