Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Charms vs Layer Cakes vs Jelly Rolls vs Fat Quarters.... >
  • Charms vs Layer Cakes vs Jelly Rolls vs Fat Quarters....

• Charms vs Layer Cakes vs Jelly Rolls vs Fat Quarters....

Old 01-12-2012, 09:20 AM

I have recently bought jelly rolls and fat quarters to build my stash. If I have a particular quilt in mind, I still buy yardage. Jelly rolls and fat quarters are nice for smaller projects and baby quilts.
    Old 01-12-2012, 09:22 AM

I also only buy yardage, you pay so much extra for the cutting, I'd rather have the extra fabric on hand for my next project
    Old 01-12-2012, 09:56 AM

Thanks everyone! I went to my LQS today and got 1/4 yard of 3 fabrics and 1 5/8 yards (all they had) of another fabric...spent $25, it was Moda fabric and one Robert Kauffman. I did go to JoAnn's in search of one more solid color fabric and just got 1/4 yard of it too along with some batting since they were still having their half off sale.

Oh I went to Old Time Pottery since their sales paper had Designer Fabric for $3.89/yd...didn't see anything that I liked but the fabric was heavy, mainly Home Decor type.
    Old 01-12-2012, 10:11 AM

I usually buy yardage, 3 yds at a time, unless I need a small amount of an accent color, then 1 yd. I am quite new to quilting, so am slowly building a stash this way. I always check the remnant bins, sometimes find a deal. Also I check out the thrift stores sometimes they have piece goods but also clothing and bedding...used sheets and tableclothes make great backings
    Old 01-12-2012, 10:27 AM

I buy both. If there is a layer cake or charm pack I really like I will get it especially if it is on sale. The fabrics coordinate well. Depends on the project really.
    Old 01-12-2012, 10:32 AM

I used to buy 4 to 6 yards of fabric I liked but with the increasing prices I have dropped back to 2-3 yards now - I buy lots of pre-cuts - I love how they coordinate and I have the books for jellyrolls, layer cakes and charm packs - you will be surprised what you can make with that amount of fabric.
    Old 01-12-2012, 10:50 AM

If i know what I want to make, I buy yardage. If I am buying for stash, I buy precuts. I like fat quarters and charms. Charms are good for pictorial quilting, when you just want a little of each color. Fat quarters are good for making blocks- you can get more cuts out of them than a regular quarter yard. I only buy them from places that don't charge for the cut though - I won't pay a yardage premium on them. I also buy a lot of quarter yards.

When stash building though, I look for good sales.
    Old 01-12-2012, 11:11 AM

Thanks everyone for posting I learned alot, as I am new to quilting.
    Old 01-12-2012, 11:44 AM

Precuts are nice if you want a lot of variety in a quilt...but a lot more expensive than yardage.

I recently made a rag quilt that would have used 3 layer cakes, costing me about $105. Instead I bought yardage on sale at Hancocks of Paducah (on line), and it cost me about $42.

There is an online store called Connecting Threads...I don't believe their precuts cost more that their yardage. I purchased fabric from them, but have not used it yet, but people on this board have said lost of good things about it.

I try to buy everything on sale.
    Old 01-12-2012, 11:55 AM

I buy jelly rolls, layer cakes, charm packs and fat quarter bundles. I buy them because I can get one piece from an entire line of fabric that I wouldn't be able to get otherwise. It would be a daunting task to hunt down all 40 or more fabrics from a single line since the majority of quilt shops pick and choose from a line and don't carry the full line. I also buy lots and lots of yardage. I only buy single yards of things that are backgrounds or blenders where I'm likely to use several in a single quilt. Everything else I buy at least two yards of and most of the time I get at least 4.