Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Cheap quilts on Etsy and Ebay??? >
  • Cheap quilts on Etsy and Ebay???

• Cheap quilts on Etsy and Ebay???

Old 01-19-2014, 12:38 PM

Given the price of materials even at bargain prices there's no way I could make a quilt to sell for a profit when labor is figured in. Mine will go as gifts to family and friends who will appreciate them.
    Rodney
    Old 01-19-2014, 12:40 PM

Most people look at things like this in this way, right or wrong, things are worth only what someone is willing to pay for them. It depends on how bad, most times, someone wants something that's for sell. It doesn't only apply to quilting. It is anything.
    Old 01-19-2014, 12:44 PM

Nativetexan,You might be right, she should try that. Some people...........

Last edited by mimiof4; 01-19-2014 at 12:46 PM.
    Old 01-19-2014, 02:08 PM

I make quilts for family and friends - and give them away. I would NEVER consider selling a quilt. Too many horror stories of misunderstandings between maker and buyer. I make quilts in colorways that appeal to me. I don't make a quilt in colors I don't like. If a bride and groom have favorite colors I don't like to work with, I give them something they've registered for instead of a quilt. Then everyone's happy, and no one's feelings are hurt.
    Old 01-19-2014, 02:36 PM

I have read this thread with great interest. I recently got back into quilting. I have fabric from before I quit 8 years ago that I no longer really like. I have always tried to get something back from my hobbies even if I break even to purchase new crafting products and now I am into quilting so I want new fabric. I had planned to use up a lot of this older fabric and make lap quilts, baby quilts, table runners and doll quilts. I know in my area (a small rural area) I won't be able to get high dollars. However, I am not going to give them away either. I have always had a problem pricing my crafts but I learned from my greeting cards that if you go to low you can't come back.

I have found myself saying well I made this from scraps that I probably would have thrown away if I didn't think of a doll quilt for example. But what's happens when I have used up all my old fabric and I am still selling to get more I won't be able to get away with saying this fabric cost more than the fabric that went into this one. Hope I am explaining myself properly.

So I am back at my dilemena (sp)? How much do I charge. Here's a picture of a doll quilt completely made from scraps and a backing that I wouldn't use for anything besides a backing.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]457493[/ATTACH]

Its 22x26 would $15.00 be too much.

On the other hand I made this table runner

[ATTACH=CONFIG]457497[/ATTACH]

I want ant to ask $25 but feel it might be too much. So I guess I typed all this to say we probably won't ever get what we put into our work unless we are highly known etc. We had a lady here who could sell her quilting for lots of money, personally I didn't see the value they were not to my taste but because she was well know as a quilter and teacher she got what she asked however I don't know how fast her quilts sold and that's what I am after fast turn around. Thanks for reading. Sorry don't know how those other photos go in but can't seem to delete them.
    Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

image.jpg  
    Old 01-19-2014, 02:47 PM

I have read this thread with great interest. I recently got back into quilting. I have fabric from before I quit 8 years ago that I no longer really like. I have always tried to get something back from my hobbies even if I break even to purchase new crafting products and now I am into quilting so I want new fabric. I had planned to use up a lot of this older fabric and make lap quilts, baby quilts, table runners and doll quilts. I know in my area (a small rural area) I won't be able to get high dollars. However, I am not going to give them away either. I have always had a problem pricing my crafts but I learned from my greeting cards that if you go to low you can't come back.

I have found myself saying well I made this from scraps that I probably would have thrown away if I didn't think of a doll quilt for example. But what's happens when I have used up all my old fabric and I am still selling to get more I won't be able to get away with saying this fabric cost more than the fabric that went into this one. Hope I am explaining myself properly.

So I am back at my dilemena (sp)? How much do I charge. Here's a picture of a doll quilt completely made from scraps and a backing that I wouldn't use for anything besides a backing.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]457493[/ATTACH]

Its 22x26 would $15.00 be too much.

On the other hand I made this table runner

[ATTACH=CONFIG]457497[/ATTACH]

I want ant to ask $25 but feel it might be too much. So I guess I typed all this to say we probably won't ever get what we put into our work unless we are highly known etc. We had a lady here who could sell her quilting for lots of money, personally I didn't see the value they were not to my taste but because she was well know as a quilter and teacher she got what she asked however I don't know how fast her quilts sold and that's what I am after fast turn around. Thanks for reading.
    Old 01-19-2014, 02:49 PM

Sorry don't know why this posted twice and how the extra pictures got in there.
    Old 01-19-2014, 04:37 PM

This is a very interesting discussion. Gives me a lot to think about. I like how everyone expressed their opinions (some strongly) without belittling another person's opinion. Bravo to you all!
    Old 01-19-2014, 08:11 PM

I guess you can under sell them on ebay or give them to charity for free or to family and friends. I prefer charity hoping it will go to someone who really needs it or to family and friends.

Last edited by Jannie; 01-19-2014 at 08:15 PM.
    Old 01-20-2014, 03:56 AM

In November, I sold 3 of my purses at our guild craft booth for $25.00 each . YES , underpriced but I wanted to clear out projects from my sewing room. I figured I recouped the cost of materials to make the purses but obviously not the 6 hours it takes to make one. My thought process was to just get rid of them. No regrets, but I was not trying to make a "profit" on them. Some people had to mull the price over it any event. Last year I asked $45 for the same purses and they came back home with me. It was time to let them go.

I only "gift" my projects to people who express their delight in seeing them. I post on Facebook a lot so my "focus" group gives me feedback.

Sandy