Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Cheater quilts for the bottom of the bed >
  • Cheater quilts for the bottom of the bed

• Cheater quilts for the bottom of the bed

Old 12-22-2013, 07:55 AM

I am making a bed runner for my niece. She likes lots of color so I chose the Dresden design, made it scrappy on a black background. Have left over to making some throw pillows for bed or chairs. I have about 8 pillows on my bed so I don't think my hubby want's to add to that lol. I did place the one I am making on our bed and it really looked so nice. Maybe if I get rid of a few pillows that will be something nice to add. My runner is about 30"w with enough over hang (2 Dresden squares down each side).
    Old 12-22-2013, 08:10 AM

Dollyo - that is a perfect picture of exactly what I was talking about - using them to change the mood. Perfect!!
    :-)

Marysewfun
    Old 12-22-2013, 08:21 AM

I made a bottom-of-the-bed runner this past Summer. It is the length of the bed plus some drop. It also fits on the back of the family room devan to add color.
    I didn't get any criticism. from the judge as to length. There were others entered, and they seemed to be the length of the bed also
    To be hones, mine was the start of a quilt as you go quilt that I got tired of working on!
    Mariah
    Old 12-22-2013, 11:54 AM

I make them for the son and DDL, she onlywants a white feather comforter on their king bed - so this is a great way to add some color - that she can change easily on a whim - I make the length to go to the edge of the bottom of the mattress (not box spring)
    Old 12-22-2013, 12:15 PM

I think bed runners are a very nice decorative idea. First, much quicker to make than a full sized bed quilt, especially since I hand quilt. Adding pillow slips and shams is the icing on the cake. Also, because of time and amount of fabric, batting, etc. used, you can make several sets and change out your decor with ease as often as you wish.
    Old 12-22-2013, 01:03 PM

I make my bed runners about 18 inches in width and long enough to hang over the sides of the bed by at least 12 inches on either side (so add the width of the bed plus 24 inches).
    Old 12-22-2013, 02:50 PM

There's no standard to the size or shape of a bed runner, except to make it wide enough to be useful, and long enough to hang over the edges of the bed. I used a table runner for my basic pattern, and then I "graphed" it out on graph paper to adjust the sizes of the blocks, the number of blocks, etc. Just like a quilt pattern, so you know how much fabric, batting, etc. that you need, and the order to piece together the blocks. I seem to need that pattern in front of me to work well.

As far as using "cheater fabric", for heaven's sake, you're making it! Use whatever you want! I have used cheater fabric as the backing on a few quilts, and I like the look (as long as it goes well with the front).

Good luck to you!
    Old 12-27-2013, 10:28 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by MaryKatherine
    What I want to know is how did you train your cat to stay off the white blanket! Ha Ha
    MaryKatherine
    Silly woman, do you not know? ........ catnip!
    Old 12-28-2013, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by RaeM
    I use a bed runner over my pillows .....the quilt I made wasn't quite long enough to cover everything, so the bed runner made with a matching portion of the quilt covers the pillows and works great....it makes "making the bed" so much easier also.
    Now that is a good idea! Easier than making matching shams.
    Old 12-28-2013, 10:56 AM

I think they are great. Its like wearing a pretty headband, just gives it a bit more visual interest without the huge investment.

My mom has made me several crocheted pieces I use across the bottom of the bed. They are quick to change out with the season or mood.