Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Is this Cheating... >
  • Is this Cheating...

• Is this Cheating...

Old 02-06-2011, 01:56 PM
    Power Poster

You do what makes you happy. Quilting is a relaxing hobby so do what you feel works for you.
    Old 02-06-2011, 02:12 PM

My granny was a wonderful quilter. She NEVER used binding...bought or made..she always turned the backing over and tacked it down. I love your attitude..wish mine was more like yours. I say do whatever makes you happy. I hand quilt but that's what I like to do. I have a short arm quilting machine...wish I had a Long arm but just can't afford it....but even if I had one I still like to hand quilt. Maybe you can practice machine quilting on your sewing machine???? Just a thought if that's what you want. I know it's pretty expense to have one quilted in a shop. Just hang in there and keep your spirit up!!!!
    Old 02-06-2011, 02:19 PM

Deanna,

I don't think you are cheating at all. I totally agree with you, why waste fabric and then also create more work for you. I think quilting can be done in so many ways-no right or wrong. I wouldn't bother telling her what I was working on anymore if that is the response that I got. Let it be YOUR hobby and don't let anyone tell you how you are doing it wrong.

I can't wait to see pictures of what you have created. I am not perfect in any way of quilting. I enjoy it & know that I get better at it as I go. =)
    Old 02-06-2011, 02:31 PM

My sister taught me to do this type of binding and I, can't see watsting material thats already there
    Old 02-06-2011, 02:36 PM

I do most of my charity quilts that way!
    Old 02-06-2011, 02:43 PM

My mother was like that also, what ever I made for her she had to add to. Always complaning about how I did stuff, it was always her way or the highway. Keep doing things your way as I have and so many people think they are beautiful. LOL
    Old 02-06-2011, 03:20 PM

That's the way I learned growing up! My mom and g'ma never cut a binding like I do now! I think it depends on the quilt, the look and the use. Whatever you like is what goes!!
    Old 02-06-2011, 03:25 PM
    Vat

There are no quilt police. It is your project start and finish it whatever way pleases you. I personally like a bindng cut and add but I have seen the fold-over done and looks very good when done correctly. Sometime what you cut off of the back to square your quilt might be used to bind the quilt. I cut my binding at 1 7/8 inches and you can get lots of binding out of little fabric. But all in all keep quilting.
    Old 02-06-2011, 03:30 PM

To me there is no such thing as cheating, there are only ways of finding ways to things to make life easier for us quilters. If it works then do it is my motto. I do binding's in different manners, it depends on my mood. I was taught a new way the other day from a customer and I was like OK makes sense and even easier. Will give it a try and then try to figure out how to describe it at a later date. I say go for whatever way makes your quilting life easier and will keep you quilting for years to come. So many people feel things should be the olde fashioned pain staking way that our great grandmothers did and well i am sorry with out of the home jobs that require many people to commute long hours there is not enough hours in a day.
    Old 02-06-2011, 03:54 PM

I've never bound that way because it sounds harder to me. I think we all do things the way that suits ourself. Mum sounds a bit like a narcississ. Or maybe she's jealous that you actually finish yours. Hang up when she starts being mean or tell her she upsets you with her attitude.