Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Is this Cheating... >
  • Is this Cheating...

• Is this Cheating...

Old 02-06-2011, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Airwick156
    I am doing binding on my quilt. There is enough of the backing fabric that I can just fold it over on all sides and hand sew it for the binding. My mother just called me and asked what I was doing and I told her that I was doing the binding on my quilt. And she proceeded to say "How are you doing it? You cheating and just folding it over or did you make real binding for it?" in just her normal mean voice she uses with me whenever she talks to me. I told her I just folded it over, no need to waste the fabric when its already there. And I can't afford to buy the extra fabric. So I use what I am able to use. I see no problem with this but she sure does and definitely makes me will aware of that fact.

When I make a quilt, I complete the whole thing before I go onto the next one. I do have a few quilt tops, mostly lap quilts that I have not gotten the backing on. Now she has probably a hundred if not more Tops that will never get done as she only likes to make the tops. But yet she complains and tells me how to do my quilts. Most of the time I can remind myself to just "rise above it" and "this too shall pass" attitude, but this time it seems to have really upset me. Because not only did she say that she also told me that I was wasting all my time making quilts since I don't have the money to get them machine quilted. I tie all of them, but one day, I am going to be able to get one machine quilted. I don't think I am wasting my time not at all. I enjoy making them even though I am not very good at it, but I am learning maybe slowly but I am learning. Okay...that said..."this too shall pass" finally kicked in and now I'm waiting for "Rise above it". Maybe if I fix me a cup of hot tea that will help. LOL :) Thanks for letting me vent.
    There are no quilt police! Do it your way, it is your quilt!!!!
    Old 02-06-2011, 08:42 PM

love either way, and I tie my quilts too. it's hard to pass by some remarks that are hurtful, but "this too shall pass" is a good one.listen, go your own way, and be happy with your skills and delight in your happiness. This group loves you, jacie
    Old 02-06-2011, 08:55 PM

Nope its not cheating at all.
    Old 02-06-2011, 09:08 PM

I sometimes do it that way as well as the binding. There is no wrong way that I know of. Just be happy & have fun!
    Old 02-06-2011, 09:21 PM

it's not cheating, most of my early quilts were made that way. It was a long time before I tried any other way. I agree about not wasting the material. my mom was always critical about everything I did. just have to let it go.
    Old 02-06-2011, 09:29 PM

This is how we are doing our quilts for the hospital..it works and it is easier for students and why waste fabric as you say, and as hard as it is, try not to waste precious moments in life getting upset over your mother...she does not seem happy..you are enjoying what you are doing...you go girl! I would much rather enjoy a "not so perfect" quilt that have it sit there as an unfinished top...
    maybe you should have her read some of these posts and she may realize how thoughtless unecessary comments can hurt one's feelings...
    Old 02-06-2011, 10:04 PM

my dear mother used to tell us the following.
    Never miss an opportunity to make someone happy,even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it.

sometimes it works.......jacie
    Old 02-06-2011, 10:05 PM

This is NOT cheating! I actually have a Quilting book that uses that method as one way to bind. Good for you for being resourceful! Your mother is reminds me of mine. Don't let her bring you down! GOOD JOB! =)
    Old 02-06-2011, 10:51 PM

That is one of the ways that I sometimes finish a quilt. I know a lady who always puts right sides together and sews all around the quilt, leaving a small section to pull the quilt through when she has finished. She then finishes it off with an invisible seam in that section and does some straight stitching to adhere the backing to the quilt. All of her main quilting is done on the top and the batting, so you can't see if there were stray threads at the back when she quilted it after it is encased in the backing fabric. Her quilts look perfectly fine.
    Old 02-06-2011, 10:52 PM

It's not cheating many people use that method. I don't think she is aware of it. I break the quilting rules all the time and the quilting police never show up. LOL It's your quilt do what makes you happy.