Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • check your receipts >
  • check your receipts

• check your receipts

Old 11-17-2010, 09:12 PM

I frequently have "pricing" issues at Jo Ann's. I do try to avoid going there but sometimes ... certain sale items I can not resist.
    Old 11-17-2010, 09:59 PM

Last year on the day after Thanksgiving, I was charged regular price for SEVERAL sale items and when I mentioned it to the cashier, she rolled her eyes and got an attitude BUT I never lost my cool (even though I had been up for 4 hours and been to three other stores and changed a flat tire that day) and I was polite and I even apologized for taking up time BUT the only reason I bought the fabric was because it was on sale .... I even apologized to the women in line behind me and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM told me not to worry about it because they would all be doing the same thing!!

Needless to say, I only paid the sale price and the manager apologized to me for the rudeness of the cashier (which the woman directly behind me brought up lol)

SO ON BLACK FRIDAY CHECK CHECK CHECK YOUR RECEIPTS AND SALE PAPERS!!!!!!!!!
    Old 11-17-2010, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Carron
    If an item is posted a certain price that is what you pay no matter what the scanner or managers say. They can change the tag but still have to honor the posted price that you saw.
    I've heard this before, but I can't really imagine them being held to it.

If this were true, a free-standing display of Barbie electric cars (for kids) normally price at 150.00 (or whatever) would have to be sold for 5.99 if someone moves the free-standing price tag from the 24 packs of Pepsi over to the electric cars--

I wouldn't hold the store to it. They can't contantly monitor what people do, or we'll be limited to how many people can go into a store at once like they do sometimes here in Europe. (That way they can watch all of you at once!)
    Old 11-17-2010, 11:26 PM

My hubby just cringes when we shop because I watch it like a hawk and catch everything. Lol. He gets embarrased so ez. Guess he doesn't get the "thrill of the sale.". :D. He's such a cutie.
    Old 11-18-2010, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by ILove2quilt
    If I go to our grocery store and an item comes up wrong you get it for nothing. It's a great store.
    We have that at our Cub store also, and I don't know of any other store that does that around here. If it is marked a price on the shelf and it comes up another price, they have to sell it to you for the price on the shelf. Gotta keep they baby blues alert at all times - thank heaven for cataract surgery. I can see like a HAWK!!!! Edie
    Old 11-18-2010, 04:44 AM

I always try to have an idea how much my bill should be when I get to the register, anywhere.
    I saw some Gingerbread houses at Joann's the other week and I asked an employee if I could use my 40% off coupon on that kit. Sure you can. I get to register and I'm watching the small screen on the charge card scanner and I see that the 40% came off a $3 item. I asked why it wasn't off the GB house? She didn't know and she couldn't change anything and the managers were on lunch. There was a man working the register besides her and he had no customers. I said excuse me but can you tell me why the discount is coming off the $3 item and not the G-house. He said it should and he starts to read the register as best as you can, and I told them both again that the person on the floor said I could use my coupon on the G-house. He says who can we call? and then decideds to call for help. Guess who the help is? The person I asked on the floor if the coupon is good on the house!!! She looks again at the register info and discovers that the house is on sale, although NO SALE SIGN was posted at the houses. I asked what is it on sale for? A dollar less than the sign price! I said that's no sale, settled for the % off the $3 item (since I knew everything else I had was at sale price and those coupons are not good on sale items!) and proceeded to pay me bill. I had a gift card. The original clerk tells me to run the card thru the scanner in front of me. She works there, I did what she said and the card doesn't scan. Try it again and it doesn't work. By this time the line is long and the man is waiting on customers and the person that was called off the floor was waiting on customers. My clerk waits till that clerk is finished with her customer and asks her why my card doesn't scan. That clerk says you have to run gift cards thru the register - the other scanner is only for credit cards. Ok, my bill is paid. I'm ready to leave and my clerk says don't forget your gingerbreadhouse. I could have walked off with it but reminded her "don't you remember I said take it off my bill - I did not want it?" Oh yeah, thanks she says. From all my readings on this board, I KNOW there may issues at Joann's so I stay aware of what is going on with my bill and try to stay calm. And this can happen at any store!
    By the way, as I was waiting for help at the register, another customer didn't have a coupon and since I had the one I printed off the computer and was an extra for me, I gave it to her. She was more thankful than the employees!!
    Old 11-18-2010, 05:34 AM

I didn't use to check them closely, but I do now. Bought some books at Jo Ann's recently when they were discounted 50%. Great bargain, but I was charged twice for the same book. Caught the mistake while sitting in my car so went right back in and no problem getting a refund. Now I check every receipt from every retailer, in this economy every penny counts.
    Old 11-18-2010, 05:47 AM

Yup, I agree, it is so much easier to watch and catch mistakes BEFORE you leave the store. I try to watch them as they ring, and normally scan my receipt quickly when I get to the car before leaving the parking lot.

That being said, I normally know roughly how much my total should be as I add the numbers as I am adding things to my cart, never cease to amaze my hubby:)

Another thing to watch for is refunds that go back to your card. Just a couple of weeks ago, I went to Joann's during the big sale with the 20% coupon, and stocked up on pillow forms. As we were walking out of the store, I realized these were not the ones on sale. So back I go to return them and get the right kind ( It was a significant savings). She got my card back and put the refund amount back on it and I have a receipt that shows it! But I kept checking my card account online to see that money back and didn't for a whole week. I called the store and spoke to the manager, they got some info from the receipt and had to call their treasury who 'fixed" something. About three days later, the money did show up. I still don't get it, how could the receipt says the money were refunded to the card, show my card's last 4 digits and the money now show up! I wonder how many times that happen and gets missed. Buyer be aware!
    Old 11-18-2010, 05:47 AM

I agree - watch all sales slips - always ask if you question a price. You are the consumer. JoAnn sales slips are at times so hard to figure esp when buying several items on sale. And then again I never buy unless on sale or using coupon.
    Old 11-18-2010, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by EdieClay
    Good heads up for us ... I am very careless about checking the receipts ... usually, I am in a hurry to get out of the store ... Thanks.
    Or the person behind you is pushing to get checked out before you can put your wallet away etc.!