Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • check your receipts >
  • check your receipts

• check your receipts

Old 11-18-2010, 06:12 AM

EVERYTIME I go to Joanne's something is rung up wrong. You have to watch them...and I don't believe it's cashier error either. We have 2 Joanne's here, and they both are shady. I hate going there.
    Old 11-18-2010, 06:31 AM

Shopping at a local department store picked up an entire set of flatware which was marked at less than $50. The real price was closer to $150. Manager said he had to honor the posted price so ... yehaw! And yes - they scurried to change the sign as they were checking mine out.

At Walmart a bolt of fabric had two price stickers - one for $4.44 and one for $2. Asked the clerk to check the price and it was $4.44. I told her she needed to cover up the other sticker - but didn't buy the fabric. $4.44 is not bad, but ... I punished them for not honoring the lower price. Showed them, didn't I? :)
    Old 11-18-2010, 06:32 AM

I watch at Joann's but I have another example of cash register problems.

I had a large family, by todays standard, one girl and four boys.
    In the 70's I realized that I was spending almost $6000.00 at the A&P. I did not check every receipt but EVERY RECEIPT THAT I CHECKED HAD A PROBLEM.

It was really shocking but $100.00 per week is $5200.00 a year. That is a lot of money.
    Quilter68 who is now 69
    Old 11-18-2010, 07:41 AM

The Joanns where I shop is notorious for this. I check now before I leave the parking lot. Nothing is more infuriating that to get home and realize that you paid more for something than you should have.
    Old 11-18-2010, 08:05 AM
    Power Poster

If I find a problem and the cashier gets annoyed I have no problem reminding them it's my money, not theirs.
    Old 11-18-2010, 08:26 AM

Unfortunately we do get charged the non sale price or aren't given our proper discount. I think it takes the joy out of buying when we have to check everything from the cut of the fabric to if our % coupons are honored correctly. It happens all the time. Hancock's is just as bad as JoAnns. Last time I was in I asked for a quarter yard of a material. The bolt had not been taken from and there was a big difference of the non cut edge from one side to the other. I watched to see how she was going to handle that mess. Much to my amazement, she measured from the longer side and I could see the measurement was not going to be cut. I let her go ahead and do her thing and didn't say anything until she was finished cutting. I then took the fabric and said to her "and do you think I have 18" there?" while holding the fabric to the measuring board. It was a couple inches short, plus the uncut side went way wonkey.
    It just upsets me to think they have to be watched so closely to get charged correctly and get the yardage we asked and are charged for. Maybe it is only 50 cents here and a dollar there but it can really add up over time. I now take the time to add up the costs of my purchases before I get to the check out stand. Not fun!
    Once in a while I get a good clerk to take care of my needs and that is sewwww wondeful! I know we want to feel good about our puchases and I definitely praise the ones who do a good job, but that should be the norm and not the rare.
    Old 11-18-2010, 09:08 AM

I, too, try to have a "mental image" of what my total bill should be when I approach the register - anywhere. I have also heard "well someone must have put the item back in the wrong spot." Just gotta be careful.
    Mary
    Old 11-18-2010, 11:11 AM

Better CHECK & RE-CHECK after Wal-Mart.
    They do it all the time (I caught them 3 times).
    They also sell out-of-date meats.
    J J
    Old 11-18-2010, 02:11 PM

In the past I have worked for both a grocery store and JoAnn's. It is ammazing the things that go on on BOTH sides of the counter! YES! Check your recipts, but it is true the prices are only as good as the peope who put them into the computer. As for the signs, it is true the signs need to be correct also, but they are supposed to have the name of the item connected (NOT like WL_MARTS!)so that a customer or empolyee can easily tell if someone has tryed to "price switch" on the signage. I too have been known to get the eyeroll from the DH while shopping when items have the wrong signage, and I always get the lower price- or I walk away loudly proclaming my disgruntled attitude. And when I promise to never go back to a store I keep my promise and I tell everyone I know the problem I had!
    Sorry- guess I needed to vent a little!
    Old 11-18-2010, 03:10 PM

I had that problem at JoAnns too. I found two bolts of the same fabric with two different prices. I took the lower priced bolt for cutting and it scanned the higher price. I asked the price she was charging me and 'reminded' her that she had to give the price listed on the bolt.