Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Chicken Quilt >
  • Chicken Quilt

• Chicken Quilt

Old 02-11-2013, 07:54 PM

Becki, i agree with the quilting Xs. And the painters tape would work well too.
    as for batting, I use Warm & Natural too but often when I really wamt the quilting quick & maybe spaced far apart I use flannel- flannel sheets. I pick them up at the thrift store in tans, beige, yellow,etc. they work great
    great quilt/ great job for a 1st!
    Old 02-11-2013, 08:52 PM

I have done a kind of wavey line for the quiting part....on Bernina 630, I use #4...all it is a zigzag that has several stitches going each way - - - on each side of the zgzag.....stretch it out a bit ... it will give you a wave look like the
    crazymom blog shows.. just play with that stitch and you will find some cute things.
    Old 02-11-2013, 10:58 PM

Just want to say thank you to everyone who posted compliments, I don't know what it is about quilting that attracts only nice people who have nice things to say but I think maybe the whole world should take up quilting. I love this board. :-)

Lots of really great suggestions and hard to choose, but I think I will go with the diagonals, maybe leaving the sashings alone as someone suggested. I really like the zig zag link from Crazy Mom Quilts but I think I will save that for a quilt I'm not planning to give as a gift, just in case it doesn't turn out as great as it looks on the blog!

Thank you again and I will post pictures when finished!

Becki
    Old 02-12-2013, 11:46 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by GiddyUpGo
    Hi all, I'm making this quilt for a friend of mine. Now that I've finished the top I'm pretty sure I should wait another 10 or 15 years before attempting triangles again. This was really challenging and I obviously haven't perfected my seams enough for triangles and/or so many small pieces, because I had a lot of issues with pieces being too small or too big because I hadn't got the quarter inch seam exactly right. So anyway I think it came out OK considering ...

Now I'm looking for some ideas on how to quilt the thing, so I've posted a picture. I still have tension issues when FMQing so I don't really want to do that with this quilt since it is a gift. I also really dislike burying a lot of threads so I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas how to quilt this with a walking foot, preferably using only a few lines? Maybe that's an unrealistic plan?

Anyway would love any suggestions or ideas. Thanks!

Becki
    I love it...
    Old 02-12-2013, 06:42 PM

How cute! Don't sweat it. As long as you can trim a bit to make everything fit-----------have at it.
    Old 02-15-2013, 03:12 AM
    Power Poster

What a nice little quilt you have made and any friend would just love it I promise!
    No advice on the quilting as I am still learning myself.
    Thanks for asking and showing us your lovely gift, as I learn each time someone shares, and I enjoy seeing and hearing the stories.
    I really had to smile when you said you might wait another ten to fifteen years, lol!
    Your a nice friend to have . and I love the colors.

Last edited by Mousie; 02-15-2013 at 03:16 AM.
    Old 02-15-2013, 06:12 PM

Just a word of caution... Diagonals look and sound great, until things start stretching. Diagonal translates to BIAS in fabric; bias stretches. If you expect to be able to make it perfect, don't do diagonals. Stick to following straight of grain for your quilting lines. Good luck.