Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • CHRISTMAS CLUB IDEA >
  • CHRISTMAS CLUB IDEA

• CHRISTMAS CLUB IDEA

Old 08-18-2010, 05:51 AM

I think the Trash Bag for the car is a great idea for someone on a tight budget. Almost everyone can put it to good use and I think it will be appreciated.
    Old 08-18-2010, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Sue Fish
    Originally Posted by mosquitosewgirl
    I'm making quilted, insulated lunch bags, with a pouch for a drink bottle, and quilted sandwich wrappers.
    those sound super..hope we get to see pics
    The sandwich bag may not be a good idea because of bacterial but the lunch bag and drink pouch sounds like a greaat idea.
    Old 08-18-2010, 06:16 AM

Last year I made the 3 little boys in my life pj bottoms with a matching pillow case. All out of Spurs fabric of course! My oldest son is a Lakers fan so he didn't like them. But this year I am making him a set out of Lakers fabric.

For some friends I made a bunch of kitchen hand towels that hang from the stove or fridge handle . They loved them!
    Old 08-18-2010, 06:21 AM

I make simple bags to use to present the gifts. They get recycled and passed on to someone else. Saves on wrapping paper that gets thrown out. I also make small ornaments to use instead of gift tags. I put to, from, and the year. Then they become tree ornaments.
    Old 08-18-2010, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
    I am going to make rice bags for the guys. My friend is a massage therapist & says these are great for the athletes.
    I have made those and "cool ties" for hot weather and handwarmers ..all make nice gifts..

Lots of experience here with cool ties (just sent 45 to Afghanistan!).

How do you make your hand warmers?
    Old 08-18-2010, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Laura3
    Flybreit....Just send my your address and I will send it out. The only problem is that after I offered the pattern I went to dig it out and realized that I have the pattern and pillow, but not the directions for the table runner. It is so easy to figure out, all it is a long piece of black wool with 3 of the poinsettias on it. I used a 24 inch square and placed the flower in the center. I wanted a table topper, and the colors of the red against the black was just gorgeous, I always get comments on it. Hopefully the pattern will be enough. Sorry about that.
    I bet it will work - and sometimes, don't you just love the things that turn out a little different than you expected? I call them 'serendipities' :-D

I love black and red together - can't get much better than that!
    I'm looking forward to getting the pattern - thanks again.

:D
    Old 08-18-2010, 06:52 AM
    Power Poster

I desperately need to make Chrsitmas stockings.

There are only so many people I can make a quilt for but pillow cases whip up real fast and are received almost equally as well. I choose fabric that either matches their bedding or something thematic like bug fabric for little boys or pretty princes type for little girls. Also I add some lace at times.

PJ bottoms for both male and female are in high demand too.
    Old 08-18-2010, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
    Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
    Great idea....I wa just thinking how hard this Christmas is going to be...........I'm not working much. I need ideas for young guys, like 17-25!!!!!!! Cant think of a thing to do Hm and not too expensive!
    One neat thing that I came across a while back was cool ties. If any of these young men are atheltic they'll love them!! Also, they're good for yardwork, etc for the olders folks too!! :lol: I fit into that catagory. :(

http://www.watersorb.com/polymer_cool_neck_bands.htm
    Thank you SO MUCH for posting this link - so much info and great directions! I'll be 'paying it forward' to some others who sew for our troops.
    Old 08-18-2010, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by flybreit
    Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
    I am going to make rice bags for the guys. My friend is a massage therapist & says these are great for the athletes.
    I have made those and "cool ties" for hot weather and handwarmers ..all make nice gifts..

Lots of experience here with cool ties (just sent 45 to Afghanistan!).

How do you make your hand warmers?
    First of all thank you for sending those cool ties to Afghanistan I have a son there now! Can you tell me how to make those? Maybe something I can make and send also. Thanks
    Old 08-18-2010, 07:10 AM
    Power Poster

My older boys, 23, 20 Army, 20, 19, all like caramel popcorn, flannel PJ pants, pillow cases with a thematic aproach. Also lap quilts with a theme are a big hit. Like when my now Army kid was in fire explorer program, Fired departmetn, I made a lap quilt with leaping flames and leaping water blocks and firedepartment fabric for the border and back. It was very simple but just the right fabric. Walmart has some affordable thematic fabric.

I already bought some army fabric there to make him an Army quilt too. They also have fleece pannels (~$10) that are about the size of a lap quilt. US army, US navy, US marine, US airforce It went over real well with my younger brother to whom I send it when he was in Iraq.