Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Christmas Presents >
  • Christmas Presents

• Christmas Presents

Old 10-28-2010, 01:32 AM

I just had a thought.My grandson is 4 and loves to cook with his family.Id love to find a pattern to do in a colorful fabric for him.Im sure it wouldnt take all that much time to do..Anyone have a pattern for kids?{Im talking about an apron!}lol
    Old 10-28-2010, 04:10 AM

I am using McCalls 6049 to make aprons and chef hats for my grandchildren. I have also bought the child's aprons at Hobby Lobby and machine embroidered food/chef designs with the child's name on them. We have a Christmas cookie baking day, everyone mixes, bakes, eats and they have an assortment box to take home. A mess in the kitchen but everyone has fun.
    Old 10-28-2010, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by craftiladi
    Originally Posted by luckylindy333
    I want to make some little quilted animal ornaments. Does anyone have a pattern or seen a pattern for these? I got a pattern many years ago out of a magazine, but stupidly loaned the patterns to someone and never got them back. Thanks in advance...
    I did a google search for you although I didn't come up w/ a pattern there are a ton of sites w/ lots of ideas. I would think you could trace animal patterns from coloring or kids story books. If my memory serves me right I think the kids and I did this one year, way back when. Have fun.
    dee
    I did some google searching, too, and did not find a pattern. Someone on the board is sending me some patterns (dotcomdctm-thanks!). I just remembered that, too, that coloring books are a good sources for simple patterns. I think I have a book of applique patterns kicking around somewhere if I can put my hands on it... Thanks for the reminders! :D
    Old 10-28-2010, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Patched
    Well I started out thinking I'd make bow tuck purses, then someone posted nice placemats so I changed to that, then someone posted professional totes,so that was what I was making, the next thing posted was potholders so I changed to that. Now it cup organizers, What next? Christmas is getting closer and I keep seeing new ideas, each one better than the last. And I still haven't started anything. HOHOHO.
    You are very funny, I have not started my little stuffed animal ornaments, either. :D :oops: :lol: :roll:
    Old 10-28-2010, 06:44 PM

I agree that it is so nice to receive the thank you notes.
    it means a lot.

BUT......where were the parents as these kids were growing and and were in the learning stages of life....

Children do learn as their parents teach......
    Hey

I am not the one who raised the parents of my nieces and nephews, the only thing that I can do is make my child send the thank you notes.

TreeFrog
    Old 10-28-2010, 06:46 PM

You can make a checkerboard quilt using the traditional number of squares the game has and then cut up a large dowel for the pieces, paint the pieces two different colors. My quilt was blue and white, but you can make the traditional colors black and red squares. I put some cute country fabric on for the borders and attached a sleeve on the back so the "board" could have a dual purpose.

It went fast and was appreciated. Happy quilting.
    Old 11-05-2010, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by MommaDorian
    What is everyone doing for Christmas? What you making? I'm hoping to start something soon (kids and I always make something). I want something easy that I can give to everyone (including couples), like place mats or coasters, or something like that. Any ideas?
    I don't know what I am doing for my family this year but I am making a cushion with an applique of hearts and flowers on it. I will sew it by machine so if I think of any thing else to make I will still have time to do it.
    I did finish the baby quilt for my nieces baby girl and am working on the Wedding Anniversary wall hanging for my daughter and her husband which is due before the 20th November.
    I always give the GK money vouchers now that way they can get what they really need.
    Old 11-05-2010, 01:58 AM

Hello, I agree with you, I have 8 nieces and 1 nephew. I received 2 thank you cards from nieces and one from my nephew, so I have cut down on the making of the gifts! I went from making 8 gifts for the "kids" down to 2 and 7 for brothers & sisters (including in-laws) down to 2. So I guess that I am a bit of a scrooge too! Or maybe I'm someone who feels that there is more to gift getting. The Thank you that means a whole lot more to me!
    TreeFrog[/quote]

You are not a SCROOGE.It is just that now days people can get what ever they want easily. The only thing for that is we older people do not have the means to continue buying or making things that are not appreciated. I am thinking of making a handbag for my sister and a nappy bag with burp rugs for my niece. My own children I do not know yet but reading this I have been given ideas if I have time to do them. Thank you.
    Old 11-05-2010, 03:41 AM

Marthahelen, how about a picture. Sounds like a winner.
    Old 11-05-2010, 03:43 AM

I have 2 Christmas gifts underway..my sister loves snowmen -so I've done a snowman throw size quilt for her - it's just waiting for the binding - perhaps this weekend...

For my mom I decided to make her a full size double with some yellow and blue sunflower fabrics - they are some of my favourites from when I did a sampler quilt for myself - and she is my sunshine - so I think the fabrics are appropriate......I've completed the top this week and will drop it off at the Long-arm quilter tomorrow......

Not sure if there will be more quilted gifts on my Christmas list...I think the checkbook will have to do the rest :-)