Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Civil War Quilt Question >
  • Civil War Quilt Question

• Civil War Quilt Question

Old 08-10-2018, 06:16 PM

On pinterest, go to Civil War Quilts and many of the patterns are there and sometimes just the one block is available.
    Log Cabin is one block and you may be familiar with that one. I have gathered all the reproduction Civil War fabrics in three different colorways, red, blue and brown. Back then, the brown had a chemical (maybe rust) in it and after the
    quilts were washed, the brown started to deteriorate. Have fun with it. In the log cabin, the center block was made in red for the chimney, as the heart of the home.
    Old 08-11-2018, 12:11 AM

Lol, girlfriend, there is nooooooo need to apologize for your lack of knowledge of American History! If there was a style of quilt called a War of the Roses Quilt or a Hundred Years War Quilt, it'd be the first time most of us had ever even heard of it. You are not alone! Most people think history is dead boring, and when I was in school, I did, too. I love it now, though. The quilt are identifiable mostly by the fabric, and then the pattern.
    Old 08-11-2018, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad
    During the war "cot quilts" were made for use in hospitals etc. Enjoy this piece of history with a pattern.

http://www.patternsfromhistory.com/c.../cot_quilt.htm

This site also has a free pattern.
    Old 08-11-2018, 05:47 AM

Everyone has given great advice. I wonder, though, if your relative is interested in a specific battle, or military brigade or leader. If you knew what he found interesting, I’m pretty sure that there is a quilt pattern based on his inspiration.
    Old 08-11-2018, 05:53 AM

Quilts in that day were usually made from old clothing and flour sacks. New fabrics were used to make new dresses and because it was hand sewn, it was usually a simple pattern or a scrappy. I think you would be best to go with a basic pattern and use repro prints. These are 'old fashioned' prints (think old time dresses). If you think of colors that look 'dusty', you will be fine. Look for dusty rose, country blue, sage in tiny flowers or prints. Nothing bright and bold, mostly soft, perhaps even a bit 'faded' looking. Here in the states we often have sections in the fabric stores listing reproduction fabrics. In the UK if you look for the types of fabrics I have listed, you should be ok. BTW - what a nice gift for you to be making for him.
    Old 08-11-2018, 06:11 AM

What a thoughtful thing to do! Love this Quilting Board - they can find anything! Good luck and be sure to post a picture when you complete your quilt.
    Old 08-11-2018, 06:12 AM

i second the suggestion of Piecing the Past website by Debbie McInnis. I have made several of her quilt patterns but did not use the Civil War fabric that was suggested. I'm not a fan of the drab colors that make up the civil war pallete. Great idea to make this person a quilt.
    Old 08-12-2018, 04:19 AM

Thank you so much for the overwhelming response to my question.

I have used the links many of you including in you messages and have learned a lot about the history associated with the quilts. You have also introduced me to designers that were new to me - their patterns are stunning!

Having looked at all the beautiful designs I realised my quilting skills are just not good enough to make the intricate blocks used in many of the quilts. It would take me years to make something like that!

However, I now have a much clearer idea of the colours and designs of fabrics to use. I have started looking for Heritage and Reproduction fabrics available here in the UK. Ragamuffin mentioned using log cabin blocks. I have wanted to make something using log cabin blocks for some time so that may be what I will do.

You have all been so helpful.
    Old 08-12-2018, 07:39 AM

I love civil war era quilts, and the responses to this thread were great! I am new to quilting and somehow missed Piecing the Past Quilts!

I always learn something great when I log in to QB- thanks !
    Old 08-12-2018, 09:37 AM
    Power Poster

you can always make a more simple quilt with the Civil War fabrics. the colors are what make the quilts, to me anyway. Good luck!!