Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Clamshell quilt >
  • Clamshell quilt

• Clamshell quilt

Old 04-12-2020, 06:52 AM

Try Linda Franz's Inklingo site where she sells all kinds of downloadable, printable shapes. So accurate. Actually, I'd turn those edges by making a durable template of a clamshell shape in desired size. Then, using an oh-so-light interfacing (or fusible, but watch out for stiffness) trace a number of individual shapes onto the interfacing. Be sure to leave some space between your tracings as they'll be easier to cut out in squares.

Then, lay the interfacing square with the single traced shape on top of the right side of the fabric. Sew around the curved top with a somewhat small stitch. Now (good TV project), trim to a manageable seam allowance, clip curves, and gently turn, easing out the seam so no puckers (Those little plastic turners work well here). Iron well (unless using fusible ... sew fusible side to right side so when turned, fusible is ready for the base fabric).

Now, all the top edges are turned. Pin the top row on. Attach to the foundation fabric. Pin the next row in place so that the top rounded edges of Row 2 are just covering the curves at the bottom of Row 1. Attach to the foundation fabric, and so forth until completely assembled in desired size. NO HAND SEWING!

Incidentally, some of the lightest-weight material I've found for this type of applique' are used dryer sheets. They facilitate turning and add practically no weight or bulk of their own.

Let us know how you do. Progress reports, please!
    Old 04-12-2020, 06:52 AM

Forgot the site: https://lindafranz.com/shop/a-b-c/43

Clam shells are about half way down the page.
    Old 04-12-2020, 07:10 AM
    Power Poster

beautiful quilt. If you open the album pic, you can use that url directly to the quilt you are trying to show us https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...72-614158.html
    Old 04-12-2020, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by juliasb
    I made This clam shell quilt years ago. I used up hundreds of scraps doing it. The picture is here in my album here https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums20172.html it is the last picture. I did it all by hand and I don't trust myself with the machine on curves that much.
    If doing it by machine now I may consider pinning and stitching just the way you are mentioning. I am a bit more confident now a days.
    That is gorgeous!
    Old 04-12-2020, 11:39 AM

Thank you everyone for such great responses.

I tried the method with the paper template (turns out I had some of those laying around!) - ironing them down drove me bonkers ... couldn't get it to work properly ... and I really don't have the patience for itsy bitsy pieces around a hot iron!

So ... i used a quilt as you go method, doing raw edge applique ... I found this website: https://www.stitchedincolor.com/blog...clamshell.html

and did exactly what she did, except for the ironing ... and I think it turned out pretty good, here's a pic.

Now that I have a method that I like, I can make a "real one".

Attached Thumbnails clamshells.jpg  
    Old 04-12-2020, 04:16 PM
    Power Poster

Raw edge applique or nuthin'!

Yours turned out great. You came up with good solutions.
    Old 04-12-2020, 07:40 PM

Missouri Quilt Company has an Easy Clamshell video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdQDI9khZhE
    Old 04-13-2020, 04:38 AM

The videos do a good job showing how to put clam shells together. As you create this quilt I would love to see pictures. It looks impossibly difficult to me, a novice quilter.
    Old 04-13-2020, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by pbraun
    The videos do a good job showing how to put clam shells together. As you create this quilt I would love to see pictures. It looks impossibly difficult to me, a novice quilter.
    Go to my thread above where I posted the picture and the method that I used ... the only thing I didn't do was iron the fabric over the template, but rather did raw edge applique ... worked like a charm and was super easy!
    Old 04-13-2020, 07:07 AM

I can't help you with how to sew them together but I just wanted to tell you that I think a scrappy look with all of your clam shell cutouts would be fun to see.