Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • cleaning iron >
  • cleaning iron

• cleaning iron

Old 08-27-2009, 10:17 PM

thanks, I did stop using water in my iron but the damage was already done. As of now that iron (less than 6 months old) died on me and I havn't replaced it yet. I won't be putting water in my new one. :lol:
    Old 08-28-2009, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by crkathleen
    Whats the most effective way to clean a nonstick iron? The residue has to be from the minerals in the tap water. I've tried vinegar, salt, all purpose spray cleaner, comet, my nails AND a SOS pad (bad choice on that one).
    Thanks for any help
    For cleaning the sole plate try Faultless Hot Iron Cleaner. You can purchase it from Wal*Mart. Cream comes in a small white & blue tube. In-between cleaning, try a wadded up piece of wax paper. You'll be amazed at how well it cleans the sole plate.

For the all purpose iron cleaning, I've always used filtered water. Hope you find some good ideas from the gals here.
    Old 08-28-2009, 06:15 PM
    CRH

Originally Posted by NiceNCLady
    To clean the soul plate, the best thing I have found is to run the iron over a wet Mr Clean eraser. The iron can be warm or cold. Just wet the eraser as usual, place it on a towel and rub the iron over it. Comes clean quickly and easily.

Yes!! Just used this and it took all the icky off, even cleaned the sides and the plastic parts, didn't realize how dirty the poor thing had gotten!!
    Old 08-28-2009, 07:25 PM

Okay, I am good about using filtered water, but for cleaning....in a bind I must admit, I've used the stove top cleaner and a sponge. Worked fine :)
    Old 08-29-2009, 04:10 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by NiceNCLady
    To clean the soul plate, the best thing I have found is to run the iron over a wet Mr Clean eraser. The iron can be warm or cold. Just wet the eraser as usual, place it on a towel and rub the iron over it. Comes clean quickly and easily.
    There is a youtube video about this . I have used the wax paper trick for years . My Grandma showed me that one , she swore by it ! That was long before fusibles came along though . I haven't used the salt one yet . Guess I'll have to give that a try . For the dryer sheet , is that a new one or already used one ? Annie