Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Cleaning  up your sewing space..Join me?! >
  • Cleaning up your sewing space..Join me?!

• Cleaning up your sewing space..Join me?!

Old 01-07-2010, 06:28 AM

It looks great! i label all my storage containers too. Good work..rest up,heal fast.. for the big move to the basement!
    Old 01-07-2010, 06:53 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
    I don't want to rain on anybody's suggestion parade, but I had some of my wow's to turn yellow in places...could have been starch, but I have read that fabrics need air.
    I would be careful about keeping them in plastic, unless it's just for a short time...jmho:wink:
    If and when my stash gets out of control (wishful thinking :lol: ) I was thinking about plastic containers with holes drilled into them so that the air could circulate around the material.

Billy
    Old 01-07-2010, 07:01 AM

I cleaned up my room yesterday only took me about 5 1/2 hours. Not pushing myself to hard. I was looking for my manual to my sewing machine and my extra foot's.....feet's??? Found the manual in where it was suppose to be but still can not find my feet's. So that leaves only 3 rooms to search and 2 closets. It was actually very nice to walk in here this morning and it is spotless, except for my computer area.
    Old 01-07-2010, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
    I don't want to rain on anybody's suggestion parade, but I had some of my wow's to turn yellow in places...could have been starch, but I have read that fabrics need air.
    I would be careful about keeping them in plastic, unless it's just for a short time...jmho:wink:
    If and when my stash gets out of control (wishful thinking :lol: ) I was thinking about plastic containers with holes drilled into them so that the air could circulate around the material.

Billy

So how do you drill holes in plastic tubs??? LAst night, my girls and I sorted, organized and put into plastic bins almost all my fabric and then I labeled the bins. I am worried about air circulation so the holes would be a good idea. But how would I or DH do it? With a regular type of drill or something special/different??

Chris
    Old 01-07-2010, 07:04 AM

I hope this topic continues long enough for me to actually step away from the computer and go enter the room's "depths of no return"...
    Old 01-07-2010, 07:36 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
    So how do you drill holes in plastic tubs??? LAst night, my girls and I sorted, organized and put into plastic bins almost all my fabric and then I labeled the bins. I am worried about air circulation so the holes would be a good idea. But how would I or DH do it? With a regular type of drill or something special/different??

Chris
    A drill motor and either drill bits, hole saw, or the wood fan type of drill bit. I was thinking about using a 1" hole saw and drilling 3 or 4 holes on either side of the container towards the top for circulation.

Billy
    Old 01-07-2010, 08:06 AM

Billy[/quote]

Billy, I have several plastic containers that I used to use for the craft shows that thru wear, have holes or cracks. The problem with that is that the hole/crack grows every time you move that bin around. I had one that I thought would be fine and picked it up and had it split and spill everything. I now reinforce the crack with duct tape. You can probably do the same if you are drilling a hole for vents. Susie
    Old 01-07-2010, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Originally Posted by chris_quilts

Chris
    A drill motor and either drill bits, hole saw, or the wood fan type of drill bit. I was thinking about using a 1" hole saw and drilling 3 or 4 holes on either side of the container towards the top for circulation.

Billy
    Billy,
    Thanks so much for the suggestions. Will broach this with Dh when he is not exhausted from working. Thanks again.
    Old 01-07-2010, 09:28 AM

I do not iron or starch fabrics til ready to use as some insects like the starch. I also have everything in the closet to keep out the light and I am in the stash regularily.
    I use a garment keeper made of fabric to hang some larger pieces. I found a closeout at Target for this.
    Old 01-07-2010, 09:32 AM

They also have wonderful lamps at home Depot and Lowes that you can use in the work area and are decorative for the floor and table. I've had better luck at Home depot.