Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Cleaning Vintage Blocks >
  • Cleaning Vintage Blocks

• Cleaning Vintage Blocks

Old 10-24-2013, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2
    I have used a product called "Linen Wash". I use it to wash my antique dollies. I was amazed when one of my former clients (I don't machine quilt anymore due to my disability) ironed her quilt top without removing the blue be gone markings. I soaked her top overnight. I was amazed that the blue be gone was TOTALLY GONE! Since the linen store I bought it at closed 5 years ago, I am not sure where to find it or that it is till being made.

THANK YOU very much for your suggestion Ragamuffin. Sometimes the best cleaning hints are from our Grandmothers!
    You can buy Linen Wash on Amazon.
    Old 10-25-2013, 05:49 AM
    Banned

I would be careful washing them. Some years ago I washed a circa civil war top. It was a 9 patch and each block had a solid brown in it. There were 5 browns in each block. I washed it carefully and every brown just disappeared. I was told that browns of that era were not stable and after years would not hold up. So be careful.
    Old 10-25-2013, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy
    Your post surprises me, because I have always been very satisfied with Restoration. Just this morning I soaked a circa 1930 quilt top in Orvis, and rinsed it until the water was clean. The muslin in this top was still very uniformly brownish, and I wasn't sure if it was really that color or not, so I soaked it for about 5 hours in Restoration in the bathtub, rinsed it out, and now I can plainly see the muslin is typical unbleached muslin, but definitely not brown anymore. The colors are nice and bright now, too.
    I'm always happy to get rid of storage smells and stains, but I think what I like most about some of these cleaners is how bright the fabrics are again after years of storage.