Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Clear Thread >
  • Clear Thread

• Clear Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 02:32 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by crleslie
    What are "smoke threads" or "sewers ease"?
    I want to know too. I have used clear thread. It worked OK in my machine, but if there is something better I'd like to try it.
    Old 02-02-2009, 04:10 PM

Smoke thread is a gray colored invisible thread the same as the clear...it's used when quilting dark colors so it doesn't show. The clear tends to shine when used on dark colors. :)

Don't know what sewers ease is though.

:)
    Old 02-02-2009, 04:35 PM
    Power Poster

First off, what brand of invisible thread are you using? It should be as thin as a strand of hair. I used to use YLI .003 invisible thread with no problem; it is very, very fine. Nowadays I see that Sulky invisible thread is often recommended. I have some of that but haven't used it yet.

Aside from putting the spool in a jar or using a free-standing spool holder (and checking the spool for a nick is always good too!), you can tape a large, closed safety pin to the right back edge of your machine with the circle part up and run your thread through that before doing your usual threading. It helps keep the tension on that top thread smooth.

Because invisible thread has more stretch, you usually want to loosen your top tension.

Are you using the invisible thread in the bobbin also? Again, because this thread stretches, you have to be extra-careful when winding the bobbin so that the thread isn't being stretched. Wind slowly. Also, stop before the bobbin is completely full. It's easy to over-fill a bobbin with invisible thread.
    Old 02-03-2009, 02:49 AM

I also had major problems prior to using a glass jar behind the machine. Make sure you are using a sharp needle. I am working on a piece and started having problems with the nylon breaking about 3/4 through the quilt (I started with a new needle when I started the quilt) after installing a new needle I am back in business. Good Luck!!
    Old 02-03-2009, 09:01 AM

I use the "smoke thread" to do all my sewing when making a quilt, I just called it light grey! I tried the tension thing and the spool in a cup and so far I'm back in action. Thank you so much for all you help!!
    Old 02-03-2009, 09:02 AM
    Izy

Woo hoo!! Glad to help, don't forget to post some pictures when you finished :D
    Old 02-03-2009, 09:03 AM

I think Echoes meant "Sewer's Aid". It's a clear liquid that you use on metallic embroidery threads as well as the clear threads. It makes them behave better :roll: :roll:

Old 02-04-2009, 01:40 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Shadow Dancer
    Smoke thread is a gray colored invisible thread the same as the clear...it's used when quilting dark colors so it doesn't show. The clear tends to shine when used on dark colors. :)

Don't know what sewers ease is though.

:)
    Thanks Shadow. I have seen that in my fabric store. Just never tried it. Working on "black,white and red all over" quilt. Maybe I'll try it there.
    Old 02-05-2009, 12:53 PM

Be sure to check your needle also. I use a top stitch needle for the monofilament and do not usually have trouble. Good luck with the second quilt.
    Old 02-05-2009, 12:58 PM

Sewer's Aid is a silicone product that you spread on your spools from the applicator top on the product. It comes in a small container like fray check. I have used it for years It reduces friction between the thread and the metal/plastic parts of the machine, keeps the thread path lubricated as well as the lint down a bit from real thread. A single tube lasts a long time and it works wonders when you need it.