Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Clipping Threads >
  • Clipping Threads

• Clipping Threads

Old 11-05-2016, 03:44 PM

Wow. I had no idea I was supposed to be doing this. I chain piece so I don't typically have much in the way of extra lengths of thread, but I certainly don't fuss over loose threads coming off the end of fabric. Between those & some of my buried quilting threads that I occasionally will lazily bury on top, rather than pulling to the back, there definitely are threads that will show through the white/snow/yellow fabrics when wet, but they usually aren't noticeable when dry. If it's not a show quilt, I totally wouldn't worry about them! But I guess I'm in the minority.
    Old 11-05-2016, 07:42 PM

I am a clip as you go gal. I hate that task of having a million (I know I am exaggerating) threads for me to try to find and clip off as I am about to quilt it. All threads do show more if the fabrics are light and thin. Even though the threads wouldn't show up that much on a batik quilt, I still trim them off. I hate them hanging everywhere and potentially getting caught up in new seams that I am making.
    Old 11-05-2016, 09:17 PM

I clip as I go. But my issues are dark fabrics fraying, and you can see the dark "hairs" through the light fabrics. It can be a lot of clipping before I add the backing.
    Old 11-06-2016, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan
    I do go over the back of my quilt top with my thread snips to remove any threads from piecing or fraying. I wrap masking tape on my opposite hand and stick the threads to it as I go.
    What a great idea! Thanks for sharing!
    Old 11-11-2016, 03:48 PM

I clip as I go. I can't stand to have all these dangling bits of thread as I work, so I get them out of my way.
    Old 11-11-2016, 10:36 PM

The tails of starting threads on the back of quilt-as-you-go are more likely to be noticed than threads that end up sandwiched inside. BUT if one of those unclipped inside threads sneaks out a subsequent seam and you pull on it or clip it too close and snip the block ...uh-oh. Clip as you go!
    Old 11-12-2016, 04:45 AM

I clip as I go because it is too daunting to do all at once. Sometimes I use a needle to fasten threads close to the seam so they will not show on the front. I secure them as I go because I don't want them to pop loose.
    Old 11-12-2016, 07:26 AM

I wait until I am ready to sandwich before clipping everything close. Otherwise, some of the seams will pop loose at the edge, particularly if I have had to do much "easing" to get seams to match. I would rather snip all at one time than have to go back and secure edges of seams. Setting my stitch length on "2" helps with that, to some degree.
    Old 11-12-2016, 07:49 AM
    Power Poster

If we are going to correct someone's spelling or give instruction we should really proof read our own first. Just saying.
    Old 11-12-2016, 10:24 AM
    Power Poster

Since those pesky thread tail will show through on a light top, I'd say it's pretty important (on a light top). I am not as diligent on a dark top.

My friend uses the battery-operated beard trimmer to "shave" her quilt before she sends it to the LAQ. She folds it in quarters and deals with one quarter at a time.