Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Closet Quilter, Group or Guild??? >
  • Closet Quilter, Group or Guild???

• Closet Quilter, Group or Guild???

Old 12-14-2012, 04:41 AM

I quilt at home alone, but I also enjoy taking classes, sometimes to learn new skills and sometimes because a quilt catches my eye and I enjoy the company and seeing the color combinations that others choose. I've thought about joining a guild, but I'd probably feel like attending the meetings was an obligation, which would take away the fun for me.
    Old 12-14-2012, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by jgriinke
    I belong to the local guild and a small group that started from off the guild. I wouldn't be without either of them. They both offer lots. I wouldn't be without either of them.
    I do love this board, but sometimes getting together with friends with the same interest is even better!
    For those of you that have tried a guild but didn't like it, give it another chance. Even though you might not have liked it the first time, maybe it was just you didn't care for what they were doing. Go a few times before making a judgement. You may find lots of new quilting buddies!
    I tried one for about 5 months and didn't get much out of it. People were friendly but not inviting. Never felt like I had a place there.
    Old 12-14-2012, 06:48 AM
    ro
    Banned

Originally Posted by sewdamncute
    I quilt all over the place, home, quild, once a week with a friend, retreats...anywhere people will have me!!!
    i agree with sewdamcute. i'll go wherever anyone else is quilting and where i can squeeze in.
    Old 12-14-2012, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by eyes
    No one called you a name.

Reread the first message. I am not a "closet" anything and I resent the term.
    Old 12-14-2012, 08:57 AM
    Power Poster

I am home. I used to have friends that came to quilt but now they come to relax, eat and drink a glass of wine. Oh well. I love them. Unfortunately the guild meets at a time I can't get there and the LQS store that had a sit and sew time closed.
    Old 12-14-2012, 09:16 AM

Belong to a group (12 of us) called BZB. Meet once a month all day! Great fun. In between I stitch at home.
    Old 12-14-2012, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by eyes
    No one called you a name.
    there always has to be one. It never even crossed my mind that is was a negative.
    Old 12-14-2012, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by damaquilts
    there always has to be one. It never even crossed my mind that is was a negative.
    I think it has only been a negative term to one person. To the rest of us it is a play on words. We are addicted to quilting; we mostly quilt alone in our home; ergo, we are closet quilters. We need to understand the humor that was in the first message; it was really quite clever. I think it corresponds very well to any other addiction carried on in private that someone spends lots of money on, does privately, has no intention of quitting, is sure that it doesn't harm anyone else, etc. That describes my quilting. LOL!!
    Old 12-14-2012, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by damaquilts
    The ONE will speak. Being a "closet" anything is very negative. I have no reason to hide anything about myself or my life or my way of sewing.
    Old 12-14-2012, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by TanyaL
    I think it has only been a negative term to one person. To the rest of us it is a play on words. We are addicted to quilting; we mostly quilt alone in our home; ergo, we are closet quilters. We need to understand the humor that was in the first message; it was really quite clever. I think it corresponds very well to any other addiction carried on in private that someone spends lots of money on, does privately, has no intention of quitting, is sure that it doesn't harm anyone else, etc. That describes my quilting. LOL!!
    I reserve the right to determine what I consider humor.