Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • clothing catalog in my quilting magazine >
  • clothing catalog in my quilting magazine

• clothing catalog in my quilting magazine

Old 08-22-2010, 06:25 AM

I stopped getting their magazine several years ago. What bothered me was the fact that you can't look at the patterns inside because of the plastic wrap. Too much money to pay and find out you are not interested in any of the projects.
    All of the above comments reflected my feelings exactly.
    Old 08-22-2010, 07:10 AM

I live in an urban area and we have a pretty extensive library system (which I happily support with my tax dollars and late fees!!). They carry almost all of the magazines I can think of :-) Try looking in your local library to check mag content to see if you might want to buy it somewhere. I subscribe to American Patchwork and Quilting, and very recently ordered McCall's Quilting, because I usually always find something in each I'd like to have a copy of. Now I suppose I could just photo copy at the library, but I feel that I should pay for a pattern or idea of someone else. The stuff in ads that interests me..fabric lines or manufacturer free stuff, that I'll copy or take notes on to go on line and find. Many times I've been glad I did not subscribe to certain mags (F&P is one), because the entire mag is mostly ads of one type or another. Try your library, you'll like it..promise :lol: :lol: Also at our library, you can request they purchase a particular book or mag, they do a little research to see if its worth it for the system and if it is and there is enough budget left, they'll get it. I love my library, can you tell?? :lol: :lol:
    Old 08-22-2010, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Owllady
    I just wrote Fons and Porter and told them to read the forum for an eye opening experience. Doubt that it will help but doing nothing won't either. Maybe some others may wish to contact them also. So many unhappy people.
    I considered doing this, but then was too lazy to bother. I'm glad you took the lead.
    Old 08-22-2010, 08:46 AM

I'm very upset about my name being sold, because I thought they had more integrety than that. I think of quilters in general being good people.
    Old 08-22-2010, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by mommaB
    I live in an urban area and we have a pretty extensive library system (which I happily support with my tax dollars and late fees!!). They carry almost all of the magazines I can think of :-) Try looking in your local library to check mag content to see if you might want to buy it somewhere. I subscribe to American Patchwork and Quilting, and very recently ordered McCall's Quilting, because I usually always find something in each I'd like to have a copy of. Now I suppose I could just photo copy at the library, but I feel that I should pay for a pattern or idea of someone else. The stuff in ads that interests me..fabric lines or manufacturer free stuff, that I'll copy or take notes on to go on line and find. Many times I've been glad I did not subscribe to certain mags (F&P is one), because the entire mag is mostly ads of one type or another. Try your library, you'll like it..promise :lol: :lol: Also at our library, you can request they purchase a particular book or mag, they do a little research to see if its worth it for the system and if it is and there is enough budget left, they'll get it. I love my library, can you tell?? :lol: :lol:
    When my kids were little and I became a stay-at-home mom, I "rediscovered" the library. What a treasure trove of books and magazines and they were all FREE!! We have a really nice library in our small town in a historical building, so it really looks like a venerable institution. Unfortunately, I'm outside the city limits and so I don't pay taxes to support it or any other library apparently. If I want to join, it costs me $85 per year. I wish it were cheaper because I do like the library. $85 per year will buy several magazines.
    Old 08-22-2010, 11:47 AM

Wow, that's unfortunate :cry: Our library gets its revenue from a county tax, so its open to everyone..I didn't even know "pay to use" libraries existed :oops: Spoiled I guess!! I'm sure I pay close to that in taxes though, or more. Its only $7 a month for you though and aside from the magazines, they probably have lots of quilting books too! :D :D When you figure some of the magazines cost 4-6 bucks at the store, it doesn't take long to blow $85
    Old 08-22-2010, 11:52 AM

I realize magazinges of all types have to have ads to pay for things, like commercials on radio and T.V., but sometimes in a lot of magazines I have subscribed to in the past anyway, ll you could find in the mag. was ads. I just quit taking them. I get tired of buying just ads. I really don't take any mags. anymore because of that, but instead buy the quilting books I want, and rec. catalogs, only from three sources now, Connecting Thread, Nancy's Notions and Keepsake Quilting. At least they are full of their products they want to sell and not full of advertisements for something else.
    Old 08-22-2010, 01:48 PM

I won't be renewing my subscribtion either. I am not impressed.
    Old 08-22-2010, 04:50 PM

F&P has gotten wa-a-a-y too commercial. Most mags have websites with free patterns,hints, etc - Not F&P. They want to charge for everything. The mag is overrun with ads or gimmicks or anything else they think they can get a buck for. Quilting is supposed to be friendly and compassionate -- not a mercenary venture. I also notice they charge such a high premium for anything with their name on it that I won't buy any of their stuff anymore. Instead of recognizing that these are hard times for increasing segments of our population, they are more worried about their profits. There is NO customer good will on their part, just invoice forms.
    Old 08-22-2010, 06:10 PM

I had a 'Love of Quilting' subscription also and let it lapse. I could find similar patterns anywhere, but to snub all quilter's work, that is not using the featured fabrics, is a sales ploy, not a sewing lesson. I have tried most of the quilting mags, and found a few that are just for quilter's to learn from each other, I even found one from Australia, that had quilts that were not perfectly done, (even had one on the cover). It can be nice to know that others make mistakes too. ;) I love the lack of critics on this site. :)