Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Collecting free quilt patterns >
  • Collecting free quilt patterns

• Collecting free quilt patterns

Old 03-17-2013, 08:53 AM

Weather I use them or not if I like the pattern and print it off. I am now overrun with patterns that I will probablynever use because I forget I have them.
    Old 03-17-2013, 09:00 AM

Love finding patterns on the internet! Just finished a baby quilt using a free pattern. I save all the patterns each month in a separate folder on the computer and at the end of the month, transfer them onto a portable hard drive I use just for quilting, knitting & crocheting patterns. That way I don't have binders full of patterns. When the next month comes, I just create another folder on the computer and fill it up! Also save links that way too. I try to use digital subscriptions to quilting magazines. If I purchase a book, I always look for the e-book rather than getting a hard copy. Basically, everything is on the portable hard drive. I'm scanning my books that I have and then giving them to charity! It feels good to get rid of the paper! Especially since I've been doing these things for well over 50 years! Thanks for your post.
    Old 03-17-2013, 09:16 AM

I'm right there with you on free patterns. Why pay for books and magazines (though I do occasionally -- can't resist some of them) when there are so many freebies out there? I haven't printed them. Instead, I have bookmarked them on the computer and just print one if I want to use it. Saves paper and precious space in my sewing room.
    Old 03-17-2013, 09:22 AM

I have soooo many big binders full of free pattern it's sick...lol not to mention drawers full...but I do have plenty of purchased patterns and magazines to...so it's kinda even...
    Old 03-17-2013, 09:30 AM

I, too, love going through my free quilt patterns and my quilt books. Cheap entertainment.
    Old 03-17-2013, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by mighty
    I have collected some, but try not to over do it!
    i call that WILL POWER. Good for you.
    Old 03-17-2013, 01:45 PM

Downloading free patterns is almost as bad as hoarding fabric and I do both!! I'll never be able to use all of the patterns I have but I figure if they are free, there is really no reason not to "collect" them. I don't print them. I have them filed in folders by where I found them (I get a lot from the fabric manufacturers). It's an addiction that costs nothing but a little space (well, maybe more than a little) on the backup drive!
    Old 03-17-2013, 01:51 PM
    QM
    Power Poster

I started with binders. After I got QuiltPro, I began drawing patterns into that format, which takes much less space and helped me to see how the designs and colors work. It also makes it easy to try different colorways. Because I put things into subdirectories, everything is conveniently organized. I passed on the 3 large boxes of magazines I was given.
    Old 03-17-2013, 03:19 PM
    Power Poster

I downloaded like crazy at first. Then I realized a lot that I downloaded was because of the fabric patterns. I bought a bunch of books and magazines. I am holding a moratorium on buying and downloading for the most part with the exception of 3 BOM's for this year and the next copy of 100 blocks.
    Old 03-17-2013, 05:23 PM

I have found a kindred spirit in "luv quilts and cats"........I also love looking at patterns and imagining which of many fabrics I would choose to use.

I'm a pusscat adorer too and I love fabric and quilt book buying......dear me, am I really supposed to sew as well?????

Ellie xx