Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • collecting selvage edges? >
  • collecting selvage edges?

• collecting selvage edges?

Old 02-23-2011, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by rob529
    Originally Posted by mommafank
    I was taking a tag out of a skirt I bought to use for fabric and wondered if anyone ever saves the tags to use in a quilt---I know another subject but thought I would throw that in the mix.
    I saw a pillow where the labels were appliqued on a base fabric. I have started saving those now. Can't remember where I saw the pillow.
    Ive seen them make large picture quilts out of them,very tedious I would think. but very beautiful. think fons&porter had them in a few years back.
    Old 02-23-2011, 06:39 AM

This has been interesting----never thought that anyone would save these things or even use them. I guess we are not as wasteful as I once thought!
    Old 02-23-2011, 08:31 AM

OH WOW!!! I didn`t understand how you could keep selvage but after i looked at these sites I now got it...just awesome..guess who will be saving them from now on?? LOL Thank you...you ladies are so creative!!!!
    Originally Posted by MTS
    Originally Posted by CoventryUK
    Here is a fantastic blog!! www.selvageblog.blogspot.com there are some beautiful things made with selvage!!! I am collecting and cut mine bet 1"/11/2"! I would willingly pay postage if anyone in UK has some!!!! There is a book by Karen Griska Quilts from the Selvage Edge.
    http://selvageblog.blogspot.com/
    Actually, that's Karen's blog.

I don't collect them at all but am constantly amazed at the things people are creating using them.

I mean, really, check out the Easter bunny on the first page of the blog. It's hysterical.

My all time favorite, though, is the dress made by someone in Australia.

http://selvageblog.blogspot.com/2008...carletons.html

The umbrella is pretty cool, too.
    Old 02-23-2011, 08:39 AM

I have taken apart tons of ties to make quilts with and just couldn`t throw the tags away....thy are so interesting...now i think i will try and find an idea to use them ..this board is so inspiring.....
    Originally Posted by mommafank
    I was taking a tag out of a skirt I bought to use for fabric and wondered if anyone ever saves the tags to use in a quilt---I know another subject but thought I would throw that in the mix.
    Old 02-23-2011, 10:09 AM

I have recently started saving selvages and hope to make some purses out of them.
    Old 02-23-2011, 10:36 AM

I love them,save them and use them just love how they work up!!! They add so much interest to any project. Look at it this way, if you pay $7.00 to $9.00 yard for material they don't deduct just because it's a selvage it's still they same price and makes just as beautiful a piece as the rest with a little added "character"! If you buy the material on vacation or somewhere special, you can even write a note on the edge to commemorate and jog your memory.... include the place or date making it even more unusual!!
    Old 02-23-2011, 11:15 AM

Here are some of the blocks I made yesterday.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-128798.jpe   attachment-128799.jpe   attachment-128800.jpe   attachment-128947.jpe  
    Old 02-23-2011, 11:41 AM

I think I can put a picture of my King size Selvage quilt on but below this "Quick Reply" there is no place to add the picture. Anyone that can tell me how to do it?
    Old 02-23-2011, 12:25 PM

I am going to start ripping off my selvages when I do a project.When I saw those rugs made with wrapped clothseline, that is when I decided...

HisPatchwork- I love your selvage blocks! Thanks for sharing!!!
    Old 02-23-2011, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Zephyr
    I think I can put a picture of my King size Selvage quilt on but below this "Quick Reply" there is no place to add the picture. Anyone that can tell me how to do it?
    you can post a quick reply in the box...after you send it, notice that you can 'edit' and you can 'add new attachment' to your post...one at a time. Or, now that you have posted...you can reply to your post...or any other post..with or without quoting reply..and add your comment and up to three attachments. After sending it, you can add more attachments using the 'add new attachment' feature available at the bottom of your post. {without having to make another post...you just keep updating it until you are finished}