Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Color of batting >
  • Color of batting

• Color of batting

Old 12-10-2023, 05:26 AM

Default Color of batting

I have some blocks that have white background. Would I need to use white batting, or is natural cotton batting OK to use? Thank you.
    Old 12-10-2023, 05:33 AM

I like to use Warm and White. It's truly white like a cotton boll. I think it helps to make the white whiter. I really think it depends upon your white fabric some are very thin. Test your batting behind it then test a white sheet of paper. If it's not much of a difference, use what you have.
    Old 12-10-2023, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by toverly
    I like to use Warm and White. It's truly white like a cotton boll. I think it helps to make the white whiter. I really think it depends upon your white fabric some are very thin. Test your batting behind it then test a white sheet of paper. If it's not much of a difference, use what you have.
    ​​​​​​Thank you for the great tip. I've never used that batting before. The fabric is very thin, so I'll definitely do the test
    Old 12-10-2023, 08:11 AM
    Power Poster

Either is okay to use, but toverly is right that an off-white batting will make the whites in your quilt show up a little differently. I also use Warm and White, as well as Soft and Bright (white poly by the Warm Company). And when I'm quilting a very dark quilt, I use black batting, though it's harder to find.
    Old 12-10-2023, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
    Either is okay to use, but toverly is right that an off-white batting will make the whites in your quilt show up a little differently. I also use Warm and White, as well as Soft and Bright (white poly by the Warm Company). And when I'm quilting a very dark quilt, I use black batting, though it's harder to find.
    I did the test toverly suggested, and the white material looked dingy. I'm so glad I asked. 😊