Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • color catcher >
  • color catcher

• color catcher

Old 04-11-2011, 05:00 AM

I use a Shout Color Catcher in every load of dark clothes I wash. I use one or two (depending on the size of quilt and the amount of dark fabric in it) with the first washing of every quilt.

I even was able to remove color from white in a quilt. I added a color safe bleach to the wash along with the color catcher. Took several washings, but the quilt looks perfect.
    Old 04-11-2011, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by kit'smamma
    I have used various brands of color catchers always with Synthrapol which is a dye fixative used by hand dyers. I believe in the double whammie approach.
    That's exactly what I do. I use a dye catcher and Synthrapol in the wash cycle to remove excess dyes and use a Dharma dye fixative in the final rinse cycle.
    Old 04-11-2011, 05:34 AM

I prewash all my fabric, and use the Shout color catchers - however, if they're vibrant colors, I throw 3 or 4 of them in there!
    Old 04-11-2011, 05:37 AM

I love to use Shout. I had recently done a quilt that had some blocks that I had not prewashed. I didn' remember until I had hand quilted the queen! I prayed over my washer the whole time I was washing it, and I was not disappointed!
    Old 04-11-2011, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    Just be aware, a color catcher will ONLY keep bleeds or excess dye from settling on other fabrics in the wash. They will not set dyes. So if you have a bleeder fabric it will still continue to bleed even after washing with a Shout Color Catcher. To set dyes you need to prewash in a product called Retayne. You may be able to find it at your LQS but best bet is to buy it on line.
    I agree with Feline Fanatic. Retayne has worked well for me, on reds and greens. Only takes 1-2 teasp per yard of fabric. Instructions are to use prior to washing.
    Also, you could test the fabric by placing a 2 or 3 inch
    piece in hot water to see if it bleeds. The water will turn red or place the wet fabric on a white paper towel. Maybe it would only be necessary to prewash the fabric to release loose dye.
    Old 04-11-2011, 05:57 AM

I always use,"Shout" brand Color Catcher and I put 2 in a wash , for 1 quilt, when there is red or purple in it especially (3) They work for me, OH and cold water. :thumbup:
    Old 04-11-2011, 05:58 AM

and I am not a fabric washer before I piece or quilt. I love red also, most of my quilts have some sort of red or purple in it.
    Old 04-11-2011, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    Just be aware, a color catcher will ONLY keep bleeds or excess dye from settling on other fabrics in the wash. They will not set dyes. So if you have a bleeder fabric it will still continue to bleed even after washing with a Shout Color Catcher. To set dyes you need to prewash in a product called Retayne. You may be able to find it at your LQS but best bet is to buy it on line.
    I agree with this!!
    Old 04-11-2011, 08:03 AM

I have used Shout Color catcher or Carbona just fine. I got a pkg. yesterday @ Joann's in the clearance bin for 75% off (only 1 there)for some reason, along with some June Tailor Quilting notions & other great stuff. I never saw a clearance section in Joann's before with such great finds.
    Old 04-11-2011, 08:17 AM

I have used them and they work great. I washer my avatar with about 5 of them in the wash, and it grabbed the color really well and no bleeding at all. Cold water and a big commercial front loader is what I used. Jan