Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • color choices for a baby quilt for a boy... >
  • color choices for a baby quilt for a boy...

• color choices for a baby quilt for a boy...

Old 04-16-2011, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Afton
    Hi y'all! I need some imput on color choices for a baby boys quilt, I'm thinking greens and browns or primary colors like red and blue, but my sister, the godmother is thinking baby blues, teals and light greens.

I want this quilt to be useful and attractive for longer than the 1st year of life, do you think that the baby blues and greens are masculine enough to last?
    I'd use the darker colors. I've got a new grand coming in August. DD doesn't want to know the sex. Right now, we're doing Monkey stuff, brown, green, yellow, turquoise.

I've make up my mind she's turn a girl into a tomboy, so I'm not worrying about the sex.
    Old 04-16-2011, 08:31 AM

I received a thing in the mail just the other day but have already passed it on to dd about what a baby sees and what we see - they can only focus about 6 inches in front of them so that is why the b/w and primary quilts are so nice - they offer the most contrast allowing babies to focus easier - I love the brights myself - you may want to consider making the blanket to fit a toddler bed - my dd received so many blankets from well meaning friends but they are unusable until the baby gets older but by that time many will be outgrown - anything I'm making now is for his "big boy" bed which will carry him through for several years
    Old 04-16-2011, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by klgreene
    I like the brighter colors. They can be any bright color, but primary colors would last longer, show less dirt and he might be more likely to carry it around with him longer. Just my opinion.
    I agree.
    Old 04-16-2011, 08:37 AM

cinnya and annaquilts - I love your quilts - Anna, where did you locate the pattern for the big star quilts - they're grrrrrrat!
    Old 04-16-2011, 08:37 AM

Seems like, for the most part, baby colors are no longer the thing. The latest is that babies love the bright colors. I know my grands all loved the brighter colors.
    Old 04-16-2011, 09:42 AM

The baby will love any quilt colors. By the time he has color favorites, he will have dragged that 'blankie' for miles and miles.
    Old 04-16-2011, 10:09 AM
    Power Poster

i'm partial to the teals, but my son started with b&w then bw and red, then bright colors finally pastels at about 1 year. he really loved the patterns of the b& w and red. he's 21 now so i get to do anything i want for him
    Old 04-16-2011, 10:18 AM

I make baby quilts to be used on the floor, hung on the wall, made into tents, drug everywhere, anything but used for infants under two years to sleep under. What guidelines? Its common sense, put those babies into sleepers when its cold. You don't want quilts or other covers to be bunched up in their bed.
    Old 04-16-2011, 11:07 AM

I love brights for babies and toddlers. All my grandkids and daughter got brights. The most subdued I ever made was Browns--peaches in a Trip Around the World because the oldest had decorated the nursery that way (it is my least favorite). basically-there is no wrong way to go with baby quilts...that's why I still make them even though there are no more grandkids for a while.]
    Old 04-16-2011, 11:26 AM

I'm getting ready to make one for my neighbor's first boy, due in June. His daddy is a truck driver. His quilt has tires, spark plugs, car parts etc... on it. :) I hope he likes it.