Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Color? >
  • Color?

• Color?

Old 04-07-2011, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
    Distance really does make a difference in your fabric selections. I line them up in a cart, then walk over an aisle away. When I take that farther look, the ones that do not belong, will pop out at you. They also make a de-magnifying glass that will provide that distance if there is not enough room for a spacial viewing.

Since I now have a portable design wall, I can audition my stash fabrics from across the room. The "stinkers" for this project just might be the "rose" for the next one.
    I sometimes roll out fabric and lay it across another display so I can back up and see how they look from a distance. Not always easy in a store--------even in JoAnn's.
    Old 04-07-2011, 04:47 AM

Another thing-----------something I learned by accident when trying to pick a yarn for a sweater to match a plaid skirt. The colors don't always have to be the same if you are trying to coordinate a bigger print with smaller prints or tonals.. This skirt had pink and yellow in the plaid. Turned out that a pretty apricot was a better match than either pink or yellow.
    Old 04-07-2011, 05:37 AM

When it comes to choosing colors, I tend to look outside the box. I throw the color wheel out the window. I go with what I like even though, And it depends on what or who I am making a quilt for. I have chosen fabrics that people have said they wont go together and when they see the final quilt, it is like wow it does work.

Remember going outside the box can be hard for some but give it a try. Get your inspiration from everything you see. Look around you, you see color every where you look and can be an inspiration.
    Old 04-07-2011, 05:53 AM

I find it helpful if taking a piece of floral fabric and take the colors as in it...very seldom you will go wrong then because in the picture you see them all together.
    Old 04-07-2011, 06:01 AM

Whether right or wrong, I try to buck my "yawnable" (love that!!) colors next to a popping color. It has worked well for me. Here is a great pattern to try it out on and see what a difference it makes.

Go to RobertKaufman.com and look up the "Sew to Grow" pattern. It is so easy and so pretty. It's what I'm working on now for a wall hanging. You can stop anywhere in the pattern to make it the size you need.
    Old 04-07-2011, 07:04 AM

If you have a pic of the quilt you want to make its usually the colors that caught your attention take the pic along its easy to pick out like fabrics and eventually picking color schemes becomes second nature
    Old 04-07-2011, 07:19 AM

can you post a picture of your portable design wall. I would love to see a picture of your PDW. I have the same problem with color.
    Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
    Distance really does make a difference in your fabric selections. I line them up in a cart, then walk over an aisle away. When I take that farther look, the ones that do not belong, will pop out at you. They also make a de-magnifying glass that will provide that distance if there is not enough room for a spacial viewing.

Since I now have a portable design wall, I can audition my stash fabrics from across the room. The "stinkers" for this project just might be the "rose" for the next one.
    Old 04-07-2011, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by tweezy50
    I have been watching this board for a while now and have come to the conslusion that alot of what makes a quilt pretty, beautiful, or gorgeous are your color combinations. Seems like most of you can take the simplest pattern and make it stand out by your color combinations. Mine on the other hand are .........yawnable, if there is such a word. I've got the light, medium, and dark down, but how do you decide which colors will "pop"? Please let me in on the secret. Apparently color coordinating wasn't one of the genes I picked up.
    It's not just color combinations that make a quilt, contrast can make a big difference too.

Personally, I think using those color dots on the selvedges to pick all your fabrics makes for yawnable quilts. (I like that word) Using those dots makes for a very matchy-matchy fabric combination. The most vibrant quilts have color combinations that vibrate off of each other and if they were singled out might even clash.

It does help to get the color wheel fixed in your mind so that you at least know the basics of what's across from each other and what's next to each other.
    Old 04-07-2011, 07:31 AM

One tip I received:

If you're not sure of the distinction between color value, fold, align and place the fabrics (or samples) on a scanner and scan in B/W.

Note: I purchased some fabric I thought would work for a quilt(after spending hours sweating over the selection). When I got home (away from the shop and in different light) I wasn't pleased with my selection. I went to my stash and found a great substitute. The fabric I pulled worked in my next quilt.
    Old 04-07-2011, 07:35 AM

Thanks for the links. I have a shortcut folder on my tool bar "Color Theory" and added them.

Ya'll are the greatest!