Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Color Wheel >
  • Color Wheel

• Color Wheel

Old 06-29-2023, 09:56 AM

I don't have a color wheel. I just know what I like, what I don't like, what works for me, and what doesn't. I like specific color combos, and gravitate to them. Whatever works!
    Old 06-29-2023, 10:14 AM

I don't understand color that well. I can intellectually understand the color wheel, but I think the best combinations of colors are ones I happen upon by accident, like glancing at my scrap drawer and seeing two pieces of fabric together, or seeing an accidental pairing on my fabric shelf. I don't think I'm very good at 'thinking outside the box.' The most useful thing I can do with respect to color, is to look at tons of quilt photos. That teaches me what I like the look of.

I've read Jinny Beyer's theory about colors blending into each other, but I don't really get it. Maybe I'll pull that book out and have another look.

Old 06-29-2023, 11:20 AM

I know the color wheel from art classes but sadly, I don't really use it. I recently found this website which has some interesting color palettes. Stitch Palettes Its for hand stitching but I find this more interesting and useful than a color wheel. You can take pictures and it will break them down into the individual colors and give you a pleasing palette.

Last edited by cashs_mom; 06-29-2023 at 11:24 AM.
    Old 06-29-2023, 11:50 AM
    mkc

I've got a couple of color wheels/tools, but never use them. I do use my red and green plastic value finders for many projects, though.
    Old 06-29-2023, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by mkc
    I've got a couple of color wheels/tools, but never use them. I do use my red and green plastic value finders for many projects, though.
    Value is much harder for me than color.
    Old 06-30-2023, 02:07 AM

Smile Take a photo and break down the individual colors for your palette

Originally Posted by cashs_mom
    I know the color wheel from art classes but sadly, I don't really use it. I recently found this website which has some interesting color palettes. Stitch Palettes Its for hand stitching but I find this more interesting and useful than a color wheel. You can take pictures and it will break them down into the individual colors and give you a pleasing palette.
    Thanks for the Stitch Palette link. It's fun to see how the colors are pulled from the photo examples they show. It reminds me of using the selvage color dots from a print. I have also used Paint chip cards for value and tints. So many ways to choose color.
    The more the merrier.
    Old 06-30-2023, 02:53 AM

I have a color wheel poster haging on my wall, and color wheels too. I use them all the time, it helps me with my indecisive mind.
    Old 06-30-2023, 03:31 AM

I have two color wheels, one is posted to the bullentin board and the other rests on my cutting table. Seriously doubt if I've ever used them.
    Old 06-30-2023, 05:53 AM

I'm aware of the color wheel. I just keep it in my head. I don't venture too far from the blue area.
    Old 06-30-2023, 09:05 AM

My ophthalmologist tell me I am profoundly color blind. I see color, but not like the fully color perceptive do. A color wheel just won't work for me. I stick to simple quilts, use at most 4-5 fabrics in each of them. Bright colors are my favorites.

Admission: My husband has 'saved' me from several color disasters over the years. I'm OK with that.