Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Colors in a Quilt, What colors you like and dislike and Why? >
  • Colors in a Quilt, What colors you like and dislike and Why?

• Colors in a Quilt, What colors you like and dislike and Why?

Old 02-10-2010, 05:26 PM

My tastes vary. I love blues/greens/purples together and have made a few in these colors. Sometimes I surprise myself when I buy fabric by choosing something I wouldn't ordinarily buy. Projects waiting in the wings are purples/pinks/greens, reds/creams, browns/pinks. I love batiks and use them frequently.
    Old 02-10-2010, 05:29 PM

It all depends on the quilt, pattern, who it's for, the other fabrics in the quilt and so on. In other words, I can't think of a color I don't use.
    Old 02-10-2010, 05:38 PM

I really like bright colors and jewel tone colors. I have quite a few prints and like to use modoa marbles as blenders, or a small print that read like a solid.

I am not a fan of 30's fabrics, or civil war reproduction fabrics.

Even though I like brights I am currently working on a lap quilt for my husband in beiges, browns, black/browns and I really like the combination.
    Old 02-10-2010, 06:13 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
    I like any and all colors for the most part EXCEPT RED! LOL I don't know why I just don't like it. Maybe thats why it has taken me so long to finish the red and black wonky log cabin for my sister.
    That has happened to me when I made a blue and white and a black and white. The high contrast drove me nuts and it took forever to finish them. I was soooo glad when they were done (even if they were pretty in the end).
    Old 02-10-2010, 07:00 PM

Purple in every quilt and I don't care who it's for. It's my siganture color. I'm like MadQuilter, not many solids or batiks but am working on getting some solids just for a change of pace in the qiuilts. I do lean towards smaller prints but have some large floral that are stashed b/c I'm not sure what to do with them. I use lots of purples and blues which my stash reflects and minus orange I have just about color in the palette in my stash just less of some than others. I admit to not having much pink either as it's not a color I favor or even like.
    Old 02-10-2010, 07:28 PM

My problem is I like EVERYTHING. No color is off limits to me. I am always looking at "things" for inspirations. Flowering containers, advertisements, clothing displays, and of course fabric.
    I am working on a project that has warm brown, purple-red and some other earthy colors.
    Old 02-10-2010, 07:34 PM

About the only color combo that I absolutly don't like is brown and pink :thumbdown: Red is my absolute favorite color, so I have a lot of that :lol: I also love batiks and have a good variety of them. I guess I have a good variety of most colors, small prints, large prints, thirtys. My favorite combo is red, white and blue. I guess it just depends on the mood I'm in when I'm buying, the pattern I have in mind and who it is for.
    Old 02-10-2010, 07:37 PM

When I first started quilting, I would have said I hate orange and most shades of it (rust, peach, etc...). Now I would say, there really isn't a color I won't use. My biggest challege now is to make myself do a two color, two fabric quilt. Actually a 2 color quilt I would like to do, but limiting myself to 2 fabrics.....mmm I don't know if it will ever happen.
    Old 02-10-2010, 07:44 PM

The brighter the better for me!
    Old 02-10-2010, 09:40 PM

I use mostly clear colors. I tend to use the cooler shades. I have made a ton of quilts with purples and greens in them. Also lots of blues too. I have not used orange very much, and when I have it has been a brighter almost "cooler" orange. I don't really like the 30's fabrics or real "antiqued" ones. I never use solids (unless in a Downy quilt kit) I have even replaced solids in several block of the month kits I have done. I don't use muslin either.