Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Which comes first...the fabrics or the pattern? >
  • Which comes first...the fabrics or the pattern?

• Which comes first...the fabrics or the pattern?

Old 07-25-2011, 11:22 AM

I have tons of ziploc bags with fabric and patterns. It got so I couldnt remember why I bought particular fabrics. Now they are organized and giving me dirty looks.
    Old 07-25-2011, 11:39 AM

Fabrics!!
    Old 07-25-2011, 11:47 AM

Well I just saw some ship fabric in the clearance section. Now I'm not crazy about ships but my DH is. I got 2 yds of each - what to do with them? hmmm, came home and thought about it. A Mariner's Compass! Sometimes I see material and know immediately. Sometimes I just like it and then come home and think about what to do with it.
    Old 07-25-2011, 11:49 AM

P.S. -When you don't have enough to finish a project, that's what the board is here for. Someone ALWAYS finds just the right amount to help!
    Old 07-25-2011, 03:07 PM

Unless I am making it for someone who has requested a specific color, I just do what ever looks good to me. I am getting so many patterns (free ones on the internet) that I do have a hard time deciding on a pattern.
    Old 07-25-2011, 03:14 PM

I also puzzle a lot over fabric and pattern, and what has worked well for me...or at least has sometimes....is to make a sample block and see if I like what I get. Once I even cut 2 1/2 inch strips of 8 fabrics to see if I liked them together for a Trip around the World. I just laid them side by side until I liked what I saw.

I am never positive I will like a quilt until I am done. I just can not visualize the finished product, but these two ideas have helped.
    Old 07-25-2011, 03:14 PM

I ask the person what colors they like then I go from there.
    I took my grandson to the fabric store with me and he picked out the fabric. He picked spiderman. that was easy. Im making it in panels, When I showed my daughter she said Mom thats how it was in the comic book.. I was soo happy, I didnt know that.. You could close your eyes and pick a pattern then you pick the colors to go with it.
    Old 07-25-2011, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by sisLH
    Well I just saw some ship fabric in the clearance section. Now I'm not crazy about ships but my DH is. I got 2 yds of each - what to do with them? hmmm, came home and thought about it. A Mariner's Compass! Sometimes I see material and know immediately. Sometimes I just like it and then come home and think about what to do with it.
    I saw two panels with trains and immeditately through of my BIL who has Parkinsons and struggles to go to his beloved train shows. I bought those panels and made one walker caddy with one of them. He was tickled. I knew I bought those panels with a purpose.
    Old 07-25-2011, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Vicki W
    I usually start with the purpose of the quilt.

Who is it for?
    What is the purpose?
    Will it be a heavily used quilt?

Then knowing who it is for, I can determine the pattern and fabrics.

Seems to work for me this way easiest.

(I love the new fabric feel too....might be the reason for the pile of fabric)

I think this is the method I use. I find a pattern I like, think of who it is for and will they appreciate all the work. Then, I go pick out the fabrics for it. I do have matching fabrics that are designated to go into a single quilt someday. Since I love scrap quilts, very few are planned for specific fabrics, but it does happen. JUst go with what you like to do and enjoy your quilting.
    Old 07-25-2011, 05:36 PM

I usually pick a pattern first. www.quilterscache.com is a wonderful site to find patterns. I look thru my stash and decide fabrics for that project or really have fun and go out and buy them. A design wall is a must for me. I use a 60" vinyl window blind placed high up in the brackets. I glued flannel to it and it works beautifully. When I don't need it, It rolls all the way up and out of the way. I keep a small hook in the wall at the bottom to hook it on when it is down. This is great to audition fabrics and block placement. I am still new at this; but this helps me. Good luck!