Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Which comes first, the pattern or the fabrics? >
  • Which comes first, the pattern or the fabrics?

• Which comes first, the pattern or the fabrics?

Old 10-14-2013, 07:34 AM

Sometimes one, sometimes the other.....I bought a pattern over a year ago that I just looooved; several months later went into the fabric store and mentioned that I had such and such a pattern, but hadn't decided on fabric for it, and the salespeople jumped right in on that--we worked it up into the b/w color selection (it was a Civil War pattern in browns and golds) and I came home fat, dumb and happy, ready to go right to work on it----and read the story about it on the back and out the door went my thoughts of making that quilt. I won't be making it at all; so I have gathered it all up and will sell it as a project for someone else.....and go on picking out what I want to make from pictures on this forum or from one of my blue million quilting magazines.
    Old 10-14-2013, 07:54 AM

The fabric, always the fabric. I see something and fall in love with it without having any earthly idea what I'm going to make out of it. However, the little quilting elf always leads me to the perfect pattern and then I change my mind and do something else. Hey isn't that the fun of it? But it is the fabric that gets me every time.
    Old 10-14-2013, 09:33 AM
    Power Poster

This is like the chicken and egg question. Sometimes I find a great fabric(s) and then look for a pattern, or the complete opposite. I saw a beautiful Boston Commons quilt on the cover of a magazine years ago, decided I would make it for ME, and started collecting fabrics for it, now I just need to get a few quilts out of the way before I can make mine, my DGD's quilt comes first though.
    Old 10-14-2013, 09:58 AM
    Power Poster

I buy fabrics I like and pick a pattern for it to go into later.
    Old 10-14-2013, 01:05 PM

I usually buy fabric I like, then the pattern, then go back and buy the fabric that actually works with that pattern. lol
    Old 10-14-2013, 02:01 PM
    Power Poster

Sometimes I fall in love with a pattern and find fabric to work with it (my stash yields many options) and sometimes a fabric drives the pattern. I had yardage of a pretty blue fabric with tiny bright flowers on it. For years, I had NO idea what to do with it but could not bring me to just cut it up. One day I saw the pattern that was a perfect match for this fabric. Sometimes I just have to ride it out.
    Old 10-14-2013, 02:17 PM

Sometimes one way and sometimes the other. I try to work from my stash before going out for more stuff. I look at pictures posted in QB as well as some blogs and quilt magazines and books from my accumulation, and sometimes I get inspired by a pattern. Other times I buy fabric just because I love it and then I have to figure out what pattern would work.
    Old 10-14-2013, 02:49 PM

I have done it both ways! Lately, I have been trying to buy fabric for a pattern and not so much just fabric.