Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Command Hooks for hanging a quilt >
  • Command Hooks for hanging a quilt

• Command Hooks for hanging a quilt

Old 11-16-2013, 04:46 PM

I use three of the largest command hooks then run a round curtain rod on the top. I get those curtain clips (like tension clips with a round top) available in the curtain rod aisle in WalMart. I slip the clips on the curtain rod then clip the quilt on. They hold up the largest quilts I make and no sleeve needed. I change the quilts about 4 times a year. And my house has the orange peel finish on the walls and the command hooks hold just fine.
    Old 11-17-2013, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by CorgiNole
    Very creative.

I've tried using them to hold my rulers - and ended up with several rulers on the floor - even though they were less than the advertised weight.

Cheers, K
    Me too! Not rulers, but an old gameboard...scared me! Now I am very leary of them. This happened after about 4 yrs of hanging nicely, then landed on the floor......I don't but/use them anymore.
    Old 11-17-2013, 06:58 AM

That's really clever. I wish Command strips worked on my walls, they have an orange peel texture and it simply doesn't hold. I use really inexpensive cafe curtain rods from Wally world. They only stick out about an inch and a quarter and the rod itself is smaller. On larger quilts, put a sleeve on the bottom also and hang a rod thru it to weigh down the quilt. I don't attach the bottom rod to the wall. It makes any "waves" in the quilt smooth out.
    Old 11-17-2013, 07:21 AM

Default Command Strips

I have used them on several things, but they don't work for me. They only hang temporarily and then pop off by themselves.

Originally Posted by janeknapp
    I needed an inexpensive way to hang a small wall quilt. My husband cut a strip of oak wood for a bar. I purchased Command metal hooks and bent them for a smaller opening. My sleeve was just a little larger to allow for the hooks to go under the bar. Command strips will be used to hold the hooks onto the wall. As advertised the strips can be pulled from under the hooks to remove them without damaging the wall.

Have any of you used this method for hanging? How did you like it?
    Old 11-17-2013, 08:41 AM

Command strips are great. Just check the weight allowance. I see they now have ones that hold 7.5 pounds.
    Old 11-17-2013, 08:41 AM

Tried them for a small runner I was hanging on a door to my sew room and it didn't hold. And I did check weight when I bought them. Now that Maniacquilter said wasn't smooth on her wall maybe that's why my door isn't smooth. I am using on a smooth wall holds my rulers.
    Old 11-17-2013, 08:42 AM

I have one hung in my hall with Command Strips now. It works great. I used a dowel for hanging, but I like your idea of a flat strip. That way, I can change out with various width quilts.
    Old 11-17-2013, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by caspharm
    Command strips are great. Just check the weight allowance. I see they now have ones that hold 7.5 pounds.
    I was just wondering the other day if the command strips could be used to hang a small quilt. I've used them on several other items I've hung.
    Old 11-17-2013, 10:17 AM

I did something similar to your idea. I used the same hooks, but instead of the wood, which I did not think of, I used the center section of a two inch wide metal curtain rod that I had. My sleeve is loose enough to put the rod in, and still allow the hooks to grab the existing curved edge of the rod. It did stay on the wall the day my cat Bruno tried to sharpen his claws on it, and got stuck hanging from it until I rescued him. (He has not tried that since...lol.)