Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Is this common ? >
  • Is this common ?

• Is this common ?

Old 12-29-2010, 08:17 PM

In my first quilting class I was taught to tear the fabric to get the fabric on the grain. I did it for class but not after that. I use my rulers to get a straight edge.
    Old 12-29-2010, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by JulieR
    You know, I LOVE that this group is SO passionate about quilting that there's a major debate on whether cotton should be torn or cut! What a great place to be! :)
    Isn't that the truth!!!!
    Old 12-29-2010, 08:59 PM

I rip all my fabric so that I get a straight grain. I don't think it harms the fabric at all. A bit of steam ironing puts the frazzled edges back in shape, and that 1/16th or so of fabric is part of the seam anyway.

I find cut fabric is often off the grain and uneven. I wish my LQS would rip, but I understand the clean cut looks nicer, but it is not the best way to make sure the fabric is on grain.

When I rip, sometimes I can get up to a 3" difference from one edge to the other...that is a huge waste from cutting.

Diane
    Old 12-29-2010, 09:00 PM

We were taught in Home Ec (many years ago), that tearing it tears on the grain and you can see if the grain is straight or not. I still like mine cut.
    Old 12-29-2010, 09:19 PM

I really prefer my fabric to be torn. Do I lose a half inch, maybe. But, when is is cut, I have lost as much as a 9 inches. Now, that is a lot. If I am in a shop that insists on cutting, I always buy an extra quarter of a yard. Do they allow for their lousy cutting? Never.
    Old 12-29-2010, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by wilmak
    I really prefer my fabric to be torn. Do I lose a half inch, maybe. But, when is is cut, I have lost as much as a 9 inches. Now, that is a lot. If I am in a shop that insists on cutting, I always buy an extra quarter of a yard. Do they allow for their lousy cutting? Never.
    That's for sure
    Old 12-29-2010, 10:01 PM

I remember making some cotton table napkins years ago, before I really got into quilting, and I tore the fabric to make the squares, thinking I would get a really even square since it would be totally on grain. Those napkins have been a pain ever since, in trying to iron them and fold them into quarters. They never seem to want to fold into a square properly. I guess that's what scared me off of tearing. But, maybe that fabric was just off grain - is that a possibility? I could never quite figure it out......
    Old 12-29-2010, 11:09 PM

I can remember a time when fabric was always torn but back then it was mostly natural fibers. The draper had a gadget that measured the fabric as the edge was drawn through then a little click which put a small cut in the folded edge and then it was torn.
    I'm 61 years young but can remember when rayon and dacron came into the shops. Big excitement. The fabric store where my mother mainly shopped for fabric is still a going concern all these years later. I bought fabric to sew for my eldest when she was small from the same shop. These days they even stock a very good collection of quilt fabrics but the store is still the same size as when I was small. Long & narrow. I have even taken my best friend who was born in Scotland to this shop.
    Unfortunately I don't get there very often as it is across the other side of the city which is about an hours drive. A friend from school got her first job there and still works there a few days a week. She did marry and raise a family but has always kept with them. It is a family owned business so maybe this is why it has survived so long. Customer Service.
    Old 12-29-2010, 11:28 PM

I ALWAYS stop anyone from tearing my fabric it cause blistering to the ends of your fabric which can weaken you fabric for up to 3-4inches in, not good for your quilts , usually if you just say (nicely) please cut my fabric dont tear they are happy to do so . Cathy
    Old 12-29-2010, 11:45 PM

my local store rips and although I have asked very nisely to please cut it ,refused . it means you loose 1/4 inh each end of your fabric!