Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Is this common ? >
  • Is this common ?

• Is this common ?

Old 01-01-2011, 12:25 PM

I just came from Hobby Lobby, I asked the lady the cut my fabric if she done any tearing there. She said yes they do and it's mainly Satin, they'll do it for any other fabric but only if asked. But she said herself that it does distort the frabric even if it is straight. But they have to do what the customer asks! :|
    Old 01-01-2011, 01:03 PM

When I buy jelly rolls or layer cake it always is cut with a rotary cutter! Why is that different. I am still trying to learn about all this
    Old 01-01-2011, 01:31 PM
    cka

I've recently heard several guild members reporting jelly rolls and bali strips are way off grain and are returning them.
    Old 01-01-2011, 06:55 PM

I feel like you are paying for it so ask. To me, ripping stretches the material.
    Old 01-02-2011, 07:53 AM

[quote=Jo Mama]
    Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
    Tearing has never been an issue with me. I'm dating myself here but I remember when they ran the fabric through a devise that measured the yardage. Then there was a lever that was pushed which made a cut so the sales person could tear off the measured length. I also remember our sewing teachers having us pull on opposite ends of the fabric to straighten the grain. The goal was to have the torn edges and the selveges line up making as close to a right angle as possible. Only then could we cut out our pattern.
    I remember it too, it was brown mounted on the counter and the person pulled it thru then when the numbers on the dial were right, it nicked the selvedge and the person TORE the fabric. Thing about tearing is that it gives you the appropriate yardage on the straight grain, and if you are washing and pre shrinking your fabric any way the distortion from the tearing will go away when washed and dried, and pressed. Yes there are a few strings, and if the fabric is not on the straight grain it can be pulled on the opposing diagonal to make it straight.
    I think maybe a lot of the basics for fabric and sewing have been lost over the years as I understand many schools no longer have home ec classes which is where many gals were introduced to sewing. I feel more blessed every day to have come from a family of home sewers, 2 grandmas, 3 aunts, and mom.

:D
    Old 01-02-2011, 08:08 AM

[quote=patdesign]
    Originally Posted by Jo Mama
    Tearing has never been an issue with me. I'm dating myself here but I remember when they ran the fabric through a devise that measured the yardage. Then there was a lever that was pushed which made a cut so the sales person could tear off the measured length. I also remember our sewing teachers having us pull on opposite ends of the fabric to straighten the grain. The goal was to have the torn edges and the selveges line up making as close to a right angle as possible. Only then could we cut out our pattern.
    I remember it too, it was brown mounted on the counter and the person pulled it thru then when the numbers on the dial were right, it nicked the selvedge and the person TORE the fabric. Thing about tearing is that it gives you the appropriate yardage on the straight grain, and if you are washing and pre shrinking your fabric any way the distortion from the tearing will go away when washed and dried, and pressed. Yes there are a few strings, and if the fabric is not on the straight grain it can be pulled on the opposing diagonal to make it straight.
    I think maybe a lot of the basics for fabric and sewing have been lost over the years as I understand many schools no longer have home ec classes which is where many gals were introduced to sewing. I feel more blessed every day to have come from a family of home sewers, 2 grandmas, 3 aunts, and mom.

Exactly!!!!
    Old 01-02-2011, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by bjchad
    This may end up being the fourth great insolvable controversy. I prefer my fabric torn as it is much truer to length and on the straight grain. But certainly we can agree to disagree.

(The other three controversies? Windows vs Mac. Nikon vs Canon and mayonnaise vs miracle whip!)
    My votes are for ripping, Windows, Canon, and miracle whip! LOL!
    Old 01-02-2011, 08:10 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by makakehau
    Hi all.
    I am very new to quilting and have a small issue that has been nagging at me.
    One of the fabric stores I go to tears fabric off the bolt instead of cutting it. This bothers me. I don't like the ragged, stringy edges it leaves, it kind of takes away from the beauty of the material and I feel like it makes a bit of the fabric unusable. Not having a lot of experience, I wanted to ask you folks if this is common practice? Am I being too picky? Would it be terribly demanding of me to ask them to please cut my fabric?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.
    Have a great day!
    Lori
    Do like I would do, tell them if they charge a few more cents a yard they could afford scissors. :mrgreen:
    Old 01-02-2011, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by glenda5253
    neonparrot - I will be very surprised if this LQS is still in business when you are back in town with someone like that working for them (or maybe it was the owner...even worse). Glad you stuck to your guns. :thumbup:
    ditto, way to go, neonparrot!
    Old 01-02-2011, 08:33 AM

Talk about dating ourselves - do you remember at fabric stores when salesperson came to end of bolt and there were a few inches remaining, they just threw it in for free! No fat quarters then.[quote=patdesign]
    Originally Posted by Jo Mama