Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Connecting Thread >
  • Connecting Thread

• Connecting Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 05:21 AM
    Power Poster

The spindle is suppose to be thinner then the spool core. It could be wobbly because the spindle is shorter then the spool or the thread is being jerked by the needle. This shouldn't cause any stitch problem though. The tension should take care of any slack. I use the Superior thread stand for all spools and cones. The stand will hold spools horizontal or vertical. It has never tipped over which makes it a great stand in my opinion.
    Old 10-18-2014, 04:54 PM

Try a drinking straw over your spindle. The fat ones from McDonalds or Sonic will be better than your run of the mill straw.
    Old 10-18-2014, 06:30 PM

Have you tried putting it in a cup or mug. Sometimes that works and I have used that method that a friend of mine used and it worked for her and it worked for me. I don't use it all the time. Depends on the thread especially really large cones.
    Old 10-18-2014, 07:59 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom
    Try a drinking straw over your spindle. The fat ones from McDonalds or Sonic will be better than your run of the mill straw.
    That's a good idea. I use straws on my thread rack to hold more then one spool.
    Old 10-19-2014, 02:45 AM

Make sure your spool is right side up. Often, mine will jump around if I have it upside down on the spindle.
    Old 10-19-2014, 04:08 AM

No, I haven't tried the straw - I will though. In fact I think I have some McD' s straws in my sewing room. Thanks for this tip and all the others, which I will try if the straw doesn't work.
    Old 10-19-2014, 04:15 AM

Yesterday's post included a link to a video clip entitled 5 tips. The presenter talked about thread and how it is to be placed on your machine to avoid glitches. It is very informative. Other tips given here are also good. A vertical pin is used for thread stacked on the spool. The thread needs to pull from behind so that it does not hang up on the slit in the spool which can be used to store your thread without it unwinding in the drawer. However, many brands of thread now use the double top so the thread slides between them to keep from unraveling. For cross wound thread I used a horizontal pin and securing cap or I use a thread stand for large cones. Rarely do I have a problem and I use a large variety of thread. My Bernina just likes thread.
    Old 10-19-2014, 04:49 AM

A thread cone stand will solve a multitude of problems and if you do not like the spool on the stand, put it in a mug and just take the thread up and over the top loop of the thread stand and over to your machine.
    Old 10-19-2014, 06:24 AM

Use a roll T-Paper comes on, cut some out and fit inside spool and try that, might have to use two pcs together, but should tighten spool up on spindle.
    Old 10-19-2014, 07:16 AM

My lqs has wooden dowels that slip into the center then that slips onto the spindle. They have a whole in them.There are not expensive and they work great. Just remember to remove it. I've had to remove many from trash.