Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Connecting threads fabrics >
  • Connecting threads fabrics

• Connecting threads fabrics

Old 11-01-2010, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by jad1044
    I don't mean to knock one place of business or another with this statement, but has anyone ever boughten fabric to find it is so thin after washing - even though you bought it in a fabric shop? there is so much sizing in it - and once washed it was limp and you could see shadow outlines of people through it.......... I've had this happen from JoAnns' as well as some of the most expensive pieces of fabric from well-known manufacturers... so I will not put one down over the other.. I have bought buckoos of fabric, and just love making quilts and throws with them; and I'll bet with my next comment I'll get a lot of boo's but I even use polyesters for quilt tops. When you want a quilt to be able to withstand many washings as for babies, or in nursing homes where much washing is needed, these stand up to a lot of hard wear... yes, they are not the good cotton, but very substantial in use.
    No boos, just praise, good to use up very serviceable fabric. You are correct in using them for nursing homes, homesless shelters or any place that will give the fabric a "run for the money". There was a great pattern for making sleeping bags for the homeless shelters. Cot size, use old matress covers and batting, sandwitch between knit fabrics and quilt at 10" intervals. Use sturdy tie materials to tie the sandwich into a foldover and roll, secure with a baggage type wrap or bungy. These are often called "ugly quilts" but are beautifu for someone in need of a warm bed. I still like making utility quilts for durable purposes!
    Old 11-01-2010, 12:11 PM

I really like Connecting Threads. I love their thread and fabric. Is it Moda...no. But, doesn't cost as much either.
    You can get some really nice fabric on clearance for $3.95.
    Old 11-01-2010, 12:13 PM

I agree and love their threads, too.
    Old 11-01-2010, 12:30 PM
    e4

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    I don't think anyone here is claiming CT is "USA made"; they are saying it's "American made" which means in North America. But the dyes and fabric treatments they are using are not the same - as in occasionally toxic - as we often see in goods manufactured entirely overseas. The fabric has a heftier weight - which puts me in mind of good "goods" from 25 years ago - and is printed in such a way that BOTH sides of the yardage can often be used, one as a solid.
    This is not the same stuff as we're usually getting from Moda/Timeless Treasures/Hoffman/RJR/etc., etc., but it's great fabric at wonderful prices!!
    Jan in VA
    Sorry, but if you read their website carefully it states that some of their fabric is printed in Indonesia, which is not America (either North America nor the U.S.). I really don't care where the fabric comes from (I buy a lot of fabric overseas). I made my earlier statement because people make comments that they like Connecting Threads because their fabric is made in the USA or made in America - when it isn't necessarily. The idea is based on Connecting Threads making their made with USA cotton statement, but that has nothing to do with where the fabric is made or printed.

I also suspect they are using the fiber-reactive same dyes and probably the same finishes that are used in other fabrics. Where does it say on their website they do something different?
    Old 11-01-2010, 12:33 PM

I LOVE CT fabrics AND threads1

Just ordered $50+ fabrics last week to get free shipping and it should arrive any day.

I always check out the clearance fabrics first. Last week they had a great selection of $2.48 and $2.96 yd fabrics. Can't beat that. I love that they've now added the Mirage colors with great prices.

All the fabrics that I've received from CT has been great quality, better than Joanns, feels great similar to Northcott, which is so much more expensive.

The only 'complaint' that I have is that sometimes the colors aren't what I see on my computer screen. I don't think that they use an actual photo of the fabric, not sure how to explain it. But even tho the fabric color is different than I expected, it just finds itself comfortably in my stash.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
    Old 11-01-2010, 01:21 PM

IMO the Connecting Threads' fabric ads are rather misleading ... (I've bought their fabrics & threads, good quality, nice kits) BUT - only the COTTON is grown here. Their fabrics are actually manuf & printed OUTSIDE the US in Mexico & Indonesia
    Just a sad truth of our times ... One day (soon) we're going to wake up and find the REST of the world with ALL the goods !!
    Old 11-01-2010, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    Originally Posted by e4
    First, I have never bought from Connecting threads, which was the original question, and I hate to hijack a thread, but I would like to know why people seem to think the fabric is 100% US made. Connecting Threads website says they use 100% US cotton and they display the Cotton USA label. However, all that label means is that the cotton was grown in the US, not that the fabric is made here. In fact, if you read the site carefully, some fabrics clearly state they are printed overseas. The reality is that the fabric probably was not woven in the US, nor printed in the U.S. Does someone have other information that shows otherwise? I can't find anywhere on the site that it says the fabric actually is made in the U.S.

I don't think anyone here is claiming CT is "USA made"; they are saying it's "American made" which means in North America. But the dyes and fabric treatments they are using are not the same - as in occasionally toxic - as we often see in goods manufactured entirely overseas. The fabric has a heftier weight - which puts me in mind of good "goods" from 25 years ago - and is printed in such a way that BOTH sides of the yardage can often be used, one as a solid.
    This is not the same stuff as we're usually getting from Moda/Timeless Treasures/Hoffman/RJR/etc., etc., but it's great fabric at wonderful prices!!
    Jan in VA
    Sorry, but "AMERICAN MADE" does NOT mean Made in Mexico or Indonesia (& No offense to Mexico/ Indonesia)
    Old 11-01-2010, 01:54 PM

I think it is of much better quality than Hancock or JoAnn's.
    I order it quite often and so does my fussy friend,LOL
    Old 11-01-2010, 02:19 PM

I have always been pleased with the thread from Connecting Threads. In fact, I am expecting an order any day now from them.
    Old 11-01-2010, 02:40 PM
    crt

What I've gotten from them is much better than Joann's.